PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a PC to my Notepad

Zippity
12-12-2004, 09:43 AM
I have a 3 year old PC that I intend giving to a friend. (Just the CPU)

What items do I need and how do I go about connecting it to my notepad so that I can clean up the hard drive and load WIndows XP??

theotherone
12-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Are you giving your friend a kosher version of XP as well?

You could just format the HD and load XP onto the clean Hard drive

Zippity
12-12-2004, 10:11 AM
I also want to be able to take my own PC into the dining room to work on it without having to move my monitor and keyboard.

"Kosher" - but of course.

godfather
12-12-2004, 10:21 AM
You need a "network" between the two.

That can be done using a wireless adapter on each, in an "ad-hoc" setup or by using a "cross-over" ethernet cable.

Therefore you need a wireless adapter each end for the wireless option or an ethernet adapter each end for the cable option (plus a cable).

What does the hardware have at the moment? Does the notebook have wireless built in, do either of the units have ethernet network ports at present?

Without this knowledge, it's hard to advise in detail.

Zippity
12-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks Godfather.

The Notepad and my latest PC both have ethernet ports. The older PC doesn't.

Can I use a "cross-over" cable between the printer ports?

Obvously I am wanting to do this exercise "on the cheap" so purchasing a wireless adapter at this stage is not high on my priority list :)

Your feed back is appreciated.

godfather
12-12-2004, 12:56 PM
You could use LapLink software and a LapLink cable between the parallel ports, but that will not "network" in the trus sense.

We really have no idea what you are trying to achieve. Unfortunately "clairvoyance mode" is not working on this PC at the moment... :)

To install XP on the old PC you do not need th connect to it with another one, which is what the original post seemed to suggest. Nor to "clean up" the old drive.

To transfer files across, yes.

The zero cost way would be to temporarily transfer the old HDD into the newer desktop, as a slave. Transfer the files then put the drive back?

Zippity
12-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Problem solved. :)

Went to DSE and purchased a 1 metre Ethernet crossover cable and a Ethernet PCI Card.

Thanks.