PDA

View Full Version : Noise

JJJJJ
12-12-2004, 05:56 AM
My new comp, an HP Pavilion, P4 2.8, is the quietest computer I have ever heard. At idle the noise level is zero. Even under load the only sound is from the hard drive.
On checking with Everest I find my cpu tempis about 36 and my fan speed is 88 rpm. This sounds awefully slow to me. But as it's not overheating I'm not worried.
Is this sort of speed normal? All my previous comps have had fan speeds in the 2/3000 range.
Can Everest be believed?
Jack

godfather
12-12-2004, 06:23 AM
You are assuming that there are sensors that Everest understands.

Not always the case though. So while it's possible it's "real", also it's possible it's not.

The temp is usually a "strange" reading if the sensors are not as Everest expects, but yours sound "logical".

If it was me I would open the case to satisfy myself that all is well, but it probably is OK.

E|im
12-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Hi Jack, temperatures seem normal for a P4 of that speed.

If you've got hyper-threading enabled, download Prime95 and run two instances of it (extract the files in two seperate folders) and run the program from each of the locations. Then in each program, select Torture test from the menu, and second test down (max heat...). Run them for like 30mins, and then re-check the temperatures.