PDA

View Full Version : Errant mouse

Catweazle
12-12-2004, 03:11 AM
Okay, whats screwed up this time? While I'm using XP, my mouses cursor has suddenly taken to staying in one spot on the screen. I move it, everything works as normal, but after a second, the cursor returns to this one particular spot and flashes furiously. Its just about driving me nuts. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? It's a USB MS wheel mouse optical. It works fine in mandrake, so I'm assuming it's a Win problem. I've restarted a few times, unplugged and replugged the mouse, removed it from the device manager so it re-installs, but the behaviour refuses to go away. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Crushing the mouse with a steam roller would make me feel better, but I suspect it wouldn't fix the prob. :P

Catweazle

Thomas
12-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Have you tried another mouse?

Megaman
12-12-2004, 08:29 AM
of, if it's optical, is it on a reflective surface?

my Genius optical mouse hates the holographic mousepad we've got.

Dolby Digital
12-12-2004, 08:31 AM
>>Crushing the mouse with a steam roller would make me feel better
You can never seem to find a steam roller when you want one... and when you do it takes 1/2 hour to fire up the boiler to get the jolly thing to move :)

Megaman
12-12-2004, 08:36 AM
> >>Crushing the mouse with a steam roller would make
> me feel better
> You can never seem to find a steam roller when you
> want one... and when you do it takes 1/2 hour to
> fire up the boiler to get the jolly thing to move :)

ooooh but it's worth it ]:)

Jen C
12-12-2004, 08:53 AM
I would start to look at what processes are running in the background, and check out the logs in the Admin Tools section of XP.

I take it you have checked out the machine for nasties?

Catweazle
12-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Yeah, that was my first thought, but AVG, spybot and Adaware come up clean. Nothing dubious appears in the running tasks.

Tried using a ps2 mouse and it behaves ok, so I'm now wondering if it's a USB glitch or something.

Catweazle

tbacon_nz
12-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Have you tried changing the batteries (assuming it has some?)

Tony B

Murray P
12-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Or, using a USB to PS2 adapter.

FrankS
12-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Have you got XP SP2 installed and is the mouse not so politely telling you in a rather obtuse manner that it would like to have it's drivers updated.

Graham L
12-12-2004, 01:26 PM
If the cursor returns to a particular spot, that's software. The mouse itself doesn't have any idea of "where" it is. It knows when it is moved, and tells the driver about each step it is moved (up or down, left or right).

Catweazle
12-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks people. It seems to be sorted now. I tracked it down to a broken drawing tablet driver, which could have been caused by a power outage we had yesterday (I was using the tablet at the time).

Guess I can turn the steam roller off for now. At least until next time..

Catweazle