PDA

View Full Version : New case for me

george12
12-12-2004, 01:34 AM
Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide on a new case for my computer. Even though my case is only 2 weeks old.

I want a decent one, but price limit of around $80.

So far I have noticed this hardcore case (http://www.casepower.com.tw/english/Products/SL/0408.htm) ($79 at wholesaler), but I'm not quite sure if I want something quite so extreme.

Good cooling would be nice, but is not overly important. Good construction is a must. That's the main reason I'm buying a new case.

This (http://www.zcom.co.nz/images/0311SLBB.jpg) ($74 at wholesaler) also looks interesting.

Doesn't need to come with fans, I get some nice quiet 80mm ones for $2.50, or the 120mm ver for $5 and have about 10 of them lying around -- they're great :D

So, what do you think is a good case for me?

Cheers George

Tux
12-12-2004, 01:56 AM
hey george, i have always liked the hardcore case, but that price is bloody cheap. How did you get wholesale access, i really want to get my hands on a 120gb hard drive, but i dont have wholesale access

george12
12-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Well Tux, running a business where you sell computers is a help.

You can't really legally buy wholesale as such without being a business unfortunately, well it's more that the suppliers won't let you.

Usually they require your GST number etc, which most consumers of course won't have.

I like the case too, sort of...

It's just that sticking my Celeron D 2.4 with 9600SE, 512mb, 120gb... into that would seem like overkill. People would be like WOW MATE, what the hell do you run in there?

And I'd be like... "My Celeron D...."

It just wouldn't quite be right. That case above has no power supply by the way, so it is effectively 3 times the price of my $40 case, rather than two, even though I already have a spare power supply just waiting for it :p

Cheers George

george12
12-12-2004, 02:12 AM
Tux, if you want near-wholesale prices, you can check out places like suppercheappc.biz or xpcomputers.co.nz.

Of course what I just said is obviously very bad for my business ;), but then if you are looking for wholesale prices my shop won't quite cut it.

The above two shops would sell such a hard drive for around $143, me around $150 (both prices inc. GST).

Cheers George

E|im
12-12-2004, 04:35 AM
> So far I have noticed this hardcore case ($79 at wholesaler)

Oh my... that thing would probably sound like a 747-400 taking off!

I always make a habit of giving away any case fans that came with the case and getting some silent ones. They are just too damn noisy.

Get one with lots of drive bays and lots of room inside. Nothing worse than having everything cramped up in there. Make sure you read a few online reviews on the particular case before you purchase too.

tweak\'e
12-12-2004, 10:52 AM
forget the cheap crap!

get something decent.

eg these (http://asia.aopen.com.tw/products/housing/default_pc_midtower.htm) or these (http://asia.aopen.com.tw/products/housing/default_pc_fulltower.htm)

a lot of good cases come without psu (as you already have a good one).

noone
12-12-2004, 01:09 PM
get one with 120mmm fan holes , instead of having heaps of 80mm fans - most cheap cases come with 80mm fans. Windows = Cool , Lights = Cool. This is my current fav case , it might be a bit over your budget ($340) but its worth it Here (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=STC-T01&other_title=STC-T01CM%20Stacker)

Rob99
12-12-2004, 11:19 PM
You are a young dude and the first one looks cool, but I bet it's a complete prick to use.

I like the second one for $74, everything easy access.

george12
12-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Yes, I like the second one too.

Don't worry, the only reason it's so cheap is because those prices are from my wholesaler. Retail those cases would be around the $110 - $120 range.

I may go for the second one :). My current one will do for a while though, I have other things to do with my money at the moment.

Cheers George

noone
12-12-2004, 11:26 PM
wholesale is cool - may be even worth becoming a registered company if you can buy enough stuff / sell enough to your friends

george12
12-12-2004, 11:38 PM
The thing is,

For it all to be _legal_, your primary business purpose must be the resale of the products you buy. If most are for yourselves, then it is pretty much a mild form of fraud.

Some of my suppliers also have a minimum amount per month (usually around $1000-$3000) you need to spend there. Others however have no such requirement, and are very flexible.

You can also get "dealer accounts" at such shops as QMB and Eden Computers. For some reason, both have AWFUL websites, to put anbody off, but it may be worthwhile. I find I get around 20-40% discount on cheap items like cables, and around 3% on more expensive items there.

Good luck if you go ahead :)

Greg S
13-12-2004, 12:05 AM
George - I struggle to understand how you're a supplier of PC parts yet you make the blunder of buying a case two weeks ago, find it's not good enough, and now ask for help when you're supposedly a retailer of PC products?

Quit the advertising mate.

george12
13-12-2004, 12:58 AM
How am I advertising Greg?

Choosing a case?

I struggle to see how this could even be related to me selling anything to anyone.

You see Greg, I am the one buying a case here, not anyone else.

As for the "blunder", a more accurate description would be that my case is perfectly fine - I just want a better one. Yes, I know I upgrade my PC a lot, but hey, that's nobody's business but mine.

FYI my post had not a single thing related to my site or services.

And what the hell is wrong with asking for help? I already know which case I will probably buy, it is the second link in my post. I was simply wondering if anybody here knew of an even better choice that I did not know of. You see, nobody knows every product in the country, not even people that sell PCs :p

Even if it was allowed, IMO this forum would not be a good place to advertise my services. Why? Because the kind of person the frequents this forum is not my target audience.

Cheers George

george12
13-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Just to further slightly:

> I'm trying to decide on a new case for my computer. Even though my case is only 2 weeks old.

> I want a decent one, but price limit of around $80.

Where does that say there is anything wrong with my existing case???

Greg S
13-12-2004, 02:42 AM
> How am I advertising Greg?

Well you just went on and on about how you're a dealer etc. So I'm wrong. Apologies.

george12
13-12-2004, 09:31 AM
That's OK Greg, I just don't honestly think I went "on and on" about how I was a dealer - I only said what was relevant, and answered questions.

But let's just drop it ;)

Unless anyone knows anything better for the price, I am going for the second one I mentioned.

Cheers George Dewar