PDA

View Full Version : ADSL DNS settings

Mike
11-12-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm new to the ADSL game and I'm wondering what the purpose of setting DNS is? I haven't done it, but I keep hearing of people using different DNS settings. Should I be using some DNS settings? If so, from where?

Mike.

sam m
11-12-2004, 09:45 AM
I have no idea what DNS is or how it works but for me it is a must to have. I have an alcatel router and without the DNS settings occassionaly after a long period of inactivity I lose connection to the net. Usually a reboot fixes it. Since putting the DNS settings in I have never had this problem again. I use the Xtra DNS settings (only because I have them written down) but I have as an experiment tried Orcons (or was it Paradise) but dont notice any difference.

Mike
11-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Where do you put the DNS settings? In the setup for the network adapter? Or somewhere in the settings for the modem?

Cheers,
Mike.

johnboy
11-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Read this page.here (http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6155-842996,00.html)
hth

sam m
11-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Click on your lan connection icons (botton right, if not there then go to Control Panel, network connections). Click on properties, highlight Internet Protocol, properties, then Use the following DNS Server addresses. Enter the appropriate settings then OK out.

Xtra's is 202.27.184.3 (preferred) and 202.27.184.5 (alternate)

Your ISP's should be on their website or sit tight, I am sure others will post here.

Big John
11-12-2004, 10:20 AM
DNS is a system which is used to covert those nice names to IP addresses. ie www.microsoft.com to 207.46.144.222. Your PC then uses this to contact the machine you asked for.
Sometimes if you are using DHCP and your IP address is automatically allocated the DHCP server will tell you what the DNS address is as well so you don't need to enter this info (such as when using a dial up)

Chilling_Silence
11-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Well put Big John!

Basically every PC connected via TCP/IP gets assigned an IP Address. Goto http://www.whatismyip.com to find out your IP Address.

Try:
http://210.48.100.45
You can do that even if you have no DNS servers set! You cant however goto pressf1.co.nz without a DNS Server set......

Chill.

Mike
11-12-2004, 11:12 AM
So what then is the point in my setting a DNS server in my network interface settings? And why would people want to try different DNS servers (eg Orcon instead of Xtra I heard about yesterday)? My ADSL works fine with DNS set to automatic - do some people have problems with this setting?

Mike.

Megaman
11-12-2004, 11:20 AM
every ISP has their own set of DNS servers. If you can't get some websites, because it says "Hostname cannot be found", you may have to try another ISPs DNS servers.

Eg I'm on Orcon. I can't get many websites, and some conk out after 2 hours. So to rule out DNS servers, I might go and try iHugs, or Maxnets.

Of corse, when you connect, it's generally set to "Automatically obtain DNS server", that is when you connect, you will get the DNS server IPs sent you you, as opposed to typing them out before connecting- which you do for using another ISPs DNS