PDA

View Full Version : Modem install hangs or reboots computer

willie_M
10-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Hey guys,

My mate was running a asus a7v8x-mx motherboard while he was waiting for his ordered one to arrive. I got him a nasty winmodem, pragmatic i think, it worked fine on the old board.

However. Now we have the new board, an ASUS a7v600-x and the modem doesn't want to install.

On startup windows 2000 tries to install it using the add hardware wizard, however bananas come out of nowhere!!! I mean... if you continue on and choose the driver file off the cd, it starts to install, then reboots.

Just plain reboots. No warning nothing. On restarting, the modem is still not installed and it does the wizard thing again.

So I cancel that, and run the installer off the modem CD. It does its thing and gets to 100% and hangs there. Does nothing.

So I click cancel and it does nothing. Close it with the task manager and there is still no modem present.

What the hells going on?

Other specs:
XP3000+
1024MB DDR400 RAM

Cheers

Rob99
10-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Try removing the modem and all refferences there may be for modems.

Then plug it back in and let windows auto detect it, 2000 probally will have drivers itself that will work.

metla
10-12-2004, 11:02 PM
here is the simple answer to hardware compatability problems.

1.Select the item that costs the least amount of money.
2.Throw it away.

Problem solved.

george12
13-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Try a different slot. Almost always works :). But make sure you fully destroy the old one first (drivers not slot!:D).

HTH Cheers George