PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro Dynamic Drive problems

RichardGreen
10-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Had hardware problems that necessitated the replacement of the mother board, power source and primary hard drive. When the shop reinstalled all the new components they installed windows xp home as the os. The computer had previously been running under XP Pro and had a second drive (slave) set as a dynamic drive. The new os doesn't recognize the drive, as XP Home doesn't recognize dynamic drives. I've installed XP Pro over Home and still the second drive...which has all may backup data on it, isn't recognized in windows explorer. In disk management under computer management console it shows the disk as disk1 , dynamic, foreign and has a yellow exclamation mark over the drive icon., so the computer recognizes it as being physically present but i'm unable to access it. How do I access this drive without destroying any of the data stored on it?

Murray P
10-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Hi Richard, welcome to Press F1.

Take it back to the shop who have obviously done a sloppy job. It is they who are responsible for your present predicament. The more you attempt to restore your previous setup the more excuses it will give them.

Before you take it back:

Do you have a disk imaging programme like Ghost by which you could image the drive to a safe place (another drive)?

If the Ghost type image solution doesn't grab you, what about booting a live Linux CD like Knoppix to grab your files.

How much data is involved, could you back it up to CD/DVD?

Merlin
10-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Data backup is, in most cases, the responsibility of the computer owner. Unless specifically requested by the owner or offered by the service agent, no data is backed up prior to servicing.

> Had hardware problems that necessitated the
> replacement of the mother board, power source and
> primary hard drive. When the shop reinstalled all the
> new components they installed windows xp home as the
> os. The computer had previously been running under XP
> Pro and had a second drive (slave) set as a dynamic
> drive. The new os doesn't recognize the drive, as XP
> Home doesn't recognize dynamic drives. I've installed
> XP Pro over Home and still the second drive...which

Disconnect the second drive by removing the IDE cable, format the first drive and install WinXP Pro. Reconnect the second drive.

> has all may backup data on it, isn't recognized in
> windows explorer. In disk management under computer
> management console it shows the disk as disk1 ,
> dynamic, foreign and has a yellow exclamation mark
> over the drive icon., so the computer recognizes it
> as being physically present but i'm unable to access
> it. How do I access this drive without destroying
> any of the data stored on it?

Use a data recovery program. Success has been limited recovering data from dynamic drives using commonly available software.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?
- Bob Fuss

RichardGreen
10-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Hi Murray. Thanks for getting back so quick with a couple of good suggestions. I intend taking it back to the shop tomorrow, and I agree, I don't think they've done me any favours. I loaded Knopix but it didn't recognize the drive type either. I've now engaged in a marathon backup of the disk with Ghost. I'm backing it up to dvd-r disks which are 4.7 Gb and I have somewhere in the vicinity of 50Gb to back so it looks like it's going to be a long night!
Regards. Richard

RichardGreen
10-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi Merlin

Thanks for your assistance. I've decided to try the backup to dvd-r using ghost first. I'll take the computer back to the shop in the morning and get them to hook the slave drive to a different computer running xp pro. If it recognizes the drive I'll get them to do a backup as well. After that I'll disconnect the IDE cable and format the master then reinstall xp pro and start all over again. Here's hoping

Regards. Richard