PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Deleted Emails

Raewyn
10-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Good Afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a FREEWARE program that restores deleted emailed from Outlook Express? I did find one called OE-Mail Recovery which allowed me to see the emails that have been deleted but it's $100.00 to restore them. :O

I accidentally deleted my emails and emptied the deleted folder. So any help would be much appreciated. Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks HEAPS! :-)

noone
10-12-2004, 03:18 PM
If you can find the actual files that were deleted you can use this program that metla gave in a previous thread
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/REST2514.EXE

Raewyn
10-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Thank you for that. But it looks like it accesses anything that was sent to the recycle bin? I'm trying to restore my deleted.dbx file. Am I able to get any further assistance? :-)

Rob99
10-12-2004, 03:48 PM
The program listed above should do it.

Or go here (http://www.runtime.org/) and pay for the version you need.

You can give the program a try first to see if you can find the lost file(I'm 100% sure it will) then you will need to pay if you want it recovered.

Raewyn
10-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know if there is a FREE version of an email recovery programme for Outlook Express? I don't have a credit card, sorry. :-)

noone
10-12-2004, 05:55 PM
doesnt outlook store emails as files so you can use the recovery program for normal files and then get back the files

Raewyn
10-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Errr, would it help if I said I have Windows 98? :8}

But am using OE 6.00

Susan B
10-12-2004, 06:08 PM
As long as your .dbx folders have not been compacted you should be able to extract the emails using DBXtract (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23383,00.asp).

Just do a search for the .dbx files to find their location and point DBXtract to the deleted items.dbx file.

Mike
10-12-2004, 08:18 PM
I have a program somewhere on CD that somehow tracks down any old email that you've deleted - even after a compact or 7. I'll try to track it down - I'm pretty sure it's freeware (or at least shareware/demo, so it'll allow you to run it a couple of times before it says you have to pay for it).

No guarantees I'll be able to find it though - I download a LOT of programs :D

Mike.

Raewyn
11-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Thanks HEAPS Susan, it worked. Mike, I'd be interested to hear if you find it. Thanks again everyone. Very much appreciated. :-)

Greg S
11-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Nice one Suzie Bee.

For anyone that wants to recover lost emails in Netscape Messenger, there's also an easy manual ability to do so, as long as the folders haven't been compacted. I think it would work for any Mozilla based email programme too.

apereira
02-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi, I would be curious to know this method you mention, since today, while in Netscape Messenger (version 4.78) I deleted all the messages in the Inbox by mistake. How annoying that there is no "are you sure?" window before really deleting the messages... (following Windows' tradition)
I still have the original "Inbox" file, and have tried deleting the .snm file to see if it generates a new one based on the Inbox file, but no, it will see 0. I tried recovering using "Search and Rescue" by Iolo but nothing can be recovered.

I would think there is a tag for each message which says "deleted" IN the Inbox file, which is why even when having the "Inbox" file only (without including the snm file) all the files get deleted again and again every time I try a new way of recovering.

Once again, I'd like to know the method you mention.

Thanks

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
For anyone that wants to recover lost emails in Netscape Messenger, there's also an easy manual ability to do so, as long as the folders haven't been compacted. I think it would work for any Mozilla based email programme too.

MarkQ
08-08-2006, 11:21 PM
[edit: spam removed]