PDA

View Full Version : Point Click.

drb1
10-12-2004, 01:54 PM
This comes from this http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=54323 thread but really dosent belong in it.

Point click. is what sells M/S to the mass home user.

That's all they want, Internet, Camera, Printer, Sound System, click click click configured done.

That's what they want.

That's what M/S gives them.

I have severall friends Very unhappy with M/S auto updates and the havoc they cause, Virus, Worm Ect.

But they want a replacement that still gives them.

CLICK CLICK CLICK, done.

Linux is now not far from providing this in its GUI, MDK 10.1 is close, othes are reportedly close/closer.

Soon MDK and others will have this good enough to move clickers too (18 to 36 months) without having too many issues, and still retaining the Command line with all its good and important features beneath the surface.

This O/S like all the others will be a FREE download.

The Home/School desktop has been a free training ground for Employers for years, now Employers will have new Employees comming to them trained in this new FREE operating system.

How long will it take the average tight small KIWI business woman to take advantage of this potential cost saving?

That is when M/S will start to feel the real peck of the penguin, right there, where you can only feel.

Honestly I dont think M/S can stop this one, this time, Brazill, China, India all have Government sponsored Linux programs.

That's half the world's population in those countries, Bill will be okay, but Corporate M/S, Which he dosent totally controll any longer, Well?????????.

D.

~ Like music, progress in software is dependent on the ideas that have gone before. The creative and innovative part is not the ideas themselves, necessarily, but the particular combinations that make up the whole. Patent the component ideas, and no one can write anything new.~ (Richard Stallman)

metla
10-12-2004, 01:56 PM
The problem is what to do when the auto-configuartion doesn't work?

The issue is whats under the hood,not the gui and wizards.

drb1
10-12-2004, 02:27 PM
> The problem is what to do when the auto-configuartion
> doesn't work?
>
> The issue is whats under the hood,not the gui and
> wizards.

Metla,

True, but many of the Click users are paying (In some manner) someone to solve the underhood problems any way.

I probably get an average of three roast dinners a week like that, and more JD than is good for me.

As long as the repair skills are available, for thie Click user ther is really little difference.

A point of contention is the number of Linux Semi guru's who refuse to give GUI instruction/Help. locally you just can get good free gui online help, yet.

There are currently many flame wars on some Euro sites over this, EG,
========
Yes, fine M-Saunders, but there are three problems with this.

First, my usual objection. If you're using Mandrake (or RH or SuSE or Debian), then learn how to use Mandrake (or RH or SuSE or Debian). If you are going to install (or, heaven help us, pay for) these specific distros, then the user should learn how they work, otherwise they might as well have installed Lindows. There's no point in paying for SuSE. for example, without learning to use YAST2 or YOU. And there's no point in downloading or buying a distro specifically marked as "user-friendly" if you don't use the "user-friendly" features.

Second, Mandrake is specifically suggested to many first-time Windows migrators as being the most "newbie friendly" distro. This is because most first-time Windows migrators do not want "knowledge of the underlying system" just yet. Those people install Gentoo, or LFS, or Debian, or Slack on their first go. People migrating from or dual-booting with XP do not necessarily want to fight with the command line right from the start. It's a little too much all at once. That's why tools like RPMDrake are so valuable. You'll have to use the command line a little when you go to Easy URPMI, but it's very clearly explained, and any newbie can do it. So you know it's there, and you can think that there's more you could maybe do with it when you're ready. In the meantime-- RPMDrake gives you easy access to every piece of software in the repository, so you don't have to go trawling Google and Sourceforge (if you even know where Sourceforge is), and you don't have to worry about "what is a dependency?", "is this RPM compatible with my distro?" "what do I do with a tar.gz file (because you've downloaded the wrong thing)?", etc.

Third, I admire Mandrake tremendously (despite the problems with 9.2), and I believe in supporting them by showing off the features that distinguish MDK from other similar distributions. RPMDrake is second only to HardDrake in its wonderfulness. As I said, Mandrake has gone to a lot of trouble to develop these tools, and further, they've done a cracking good job.

I understand that maybe you don't want to explain RPMDrake to every new user who seems to not know about it...that's OK. I'll do it, when I'm around. I'm pretty sure that at least a third or more of my posts here are simply these same instructions, over and over.

But--- the reason I have to keep posting these instructions is because users like you (no offence) keep telling users like Anon to use rpm from the command line, or how to compile from source under a distro that has gone to a lot of trouble to enable users to avoid that completely.

I do wonder why so many new Mandrake users seem to miss the Control Center, though.... odd.

My e-mail: motub@planet.nl

====

Yes I know posting verbatum is naughty, but I lost the link.

D.