PDA

View Full Version : Boot

Grant Notley
09-12-2004, 01:53 PM
I have just installed a replacement M/board, processor, memory, Video, first with exist hard drives (2). The old M/C eventually refused to boot, absolutely nothing on the screen - not even BIOS info - hence the replacements - but to no avail! I run Norton Sysworks Pro - fully up to date, Zone Alarm, Spybot, Ad-aware. Tried spare power supply, swapped leads around, spare monitor, spare start switch, brand new drive - no go. Monitor confirmed OK by running with laptop. CPU fan starts, memory LED lights up OK. With data cable disconnected, hard drives (tried four different) can be heard to run-up, but with cable reconnected drives don't start. Tried floppy alone with DOS 6 boot disk - no go. Tried 3 replacement data cables, one brand new.

Anyone any further ideas - please!!!!

dwnz2003
09-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Have you tried different video cards? or checked that the one you have is plugged in

Daniel

Spacemannz
09-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Is the mobo the same as the old one?? And what version of windows is or was installed on the hdd??

And whats the mobo?? P4? AMD?? Other?

drb1
09-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Take everything off.

clear comos, start, get post screen, clear all error, stops from bios. put floppy only, get to boot dos.

Then work on, put 1 piece at time, 1 of the pices is the problem, eliminate all, then add one at time.

D.

Rob99
09-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Stick your windows CD in and boot

When it asks for the first time if you would like to fix or recover, ignore and carry on to install windows.

There will be another option to repair a Windows installation, this is the one you need, select it, folow the prompts.

Rob99
09-12-2004, 02:02 PM
On reading your post again, sounds as if your new mobo is poked, take it back and swap it

Graham L
09-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Make sure your IDE cables are correctly installed. Pin 1 on the motherboard must go to pin 1 on the drive. Pin 1 on the drives is usually nearest the power connector.

A reversed IDE cable will cause much unhappiness on the bus. So it won't work.

metla
09-12-2004, 02:22 PM
i would be trying another monitor.

And if nothing is coming up on the screen you might as well remove the hd and software from the equation and unplug the drive.