PDA

View Full Version : msn issue

bk T
09-12-2004, 09:21 AM
I never use msn before and would now like to try this toy. I have a few questions:

1. How difficult /easy is it to set up a msn account?

2. Is the 'MSN Explorer' in XP same as other 'msn' software? Someone told me that I need to download a small program from the net and install it to create an account. Can someone walk me through?

3. Are they spy/adware free or any other risks in using msn?

Cheers

somebody
09-12-2004, 09:29 AM
I assume you mean MSN Messenger account.

Yes, it's easy to set up. You can either use a hotmail account to sign up, or use any other email address. If using Hotmail, at the end of the sign-up process it will ask you whether or not you want to sign up for the ".NET Passport", which is what you use to log into MSN Messenger. If you want to use another email address (eg. somebody@13454.com), then you go to http://www.passport.net and sign up there. It will send you an email asking you to confirm etc.

To use this MSN Messenger, you will need to downlaod MSN Messenger (latest version 6.2) to log in and talk to friends. This can be done from http://messenger.msn.com.

MSN Explorer is a cross between an email client, and web browser.

As far as I know, MSN Messenger is spyware free. If you want, you can download MSGPlus (http://www.msgplus.net) which you can use to disable the advertising banner at the bottom of the MSN Messenger window.

Good luck and enjoy

Spacemannz
09-12-2004, 09:32 AM
I dont think there's spyware in MS's software. MSN explorer is bigger than MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger. BUT basically they do all the same thing. Let u access hotmail thru the program/net.

I would uninstall MSN explorer and Windows Messenger 4.7. And either use MSN Messenger 6.2 / or the 7 beta, or the new 5.1 of Windows messenger that just came out.

LOL. Well the risk is, its MS. I havent seen anything MS has made, that isnt full of some hole, or vulnerability.

An MS account, I would say is a hotmail account. Just run whatever program, I think it'll ask u if u havent got an account, it takes u to a site, so u can create one.

somebody
09-12-2004, 09:55 AM
7Beta apparently has lots of holes and was withdrawn from distribution shortly after it was released for beta testing.

bk T
09-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks, guys. will explore this new toy and see what it can offer me.

My main expectation for this is 'online chat' with friends overseas.

Cheers

bk T
09-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Have downloaded, installed and signed in, all done smoothly. Great!

1. But how do I get in touch with my friends?

2. What identifications do I have to give to my friends, and they have to give me, etc?

It may sound a little silly, but please bear with me.

Thanks.

stu120404
09-12-2004, 12:21 PM
> 1. But how do I get in touch with my friends?

You need to add your friends MSN/hotmail address to MSN messenger

> 2. What identifications do I have to give to my
> friends, and they have to give me, etc?

All you need to do is give your friends your hotmail address e.g. yourid [at] (replace [at] with @) hotmai/msn [dot] com & get them to give you there address.

> It may sound a little silly, but please bear with
> me.

No worry’s :), this is what Press F1 is for :)

Hope this helps

If you what to try adding some one to your MSN List you are welcome to try me:

stuartw77 [at] hotmail [dot com

bk T
09-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Thanks, stu120404.

Spacemannz
09-12-2004, 12:49 PM
IMO something like Mirc (IRC), is way better than IM Programs. Heaps more people to chat to at the same time. And you dont have to worry about trying to add emails from wherever. Just login and chat! Thats if u dont want to use something like video conferencing or voice.

bk T
09-12-2004, 12:49 PM
It recognises only hotmail addresses or any other email addresses?

Cheers

Spacemannz
09-12-2004, 12:52 PM
It might take other emails. It'll soon tell u if it cant.

Catweazle
09-12-2004, 02:01 PM
As long as the other user has a passport, it doesn't matter what email they have. I have different passports and it makes no difference except that you can't access your email from messenger without a separate plugin like messenger plus.