PDA

View Full Version : OT Camcorder Compatibility

willbry
08-12-2004, 10:26 PM
I see Sony DVD Camcorders retail at around $1800. I am later in the year returning to NZ via Hong Kong. I assume I would save quite a bit by buying duty free at H.K airport but if I did , would the camcorder function properly in N.Z? I have been alerted not to buy such gear in the USA because our PAL system is imcompatible with the American. Bearing this in mind, I am wondering whether the same problem would apply in purchasing from an Asian source.

godfather
08-12-2004, 11:57 PM
HK is a multinational marketplace.

Most equipment sold there is not destined for the local market, but for "export" to any possible country.

So the answer is yes and no.

You will need to do your homework thoroughly. Some cameras may be multi-standard and some not.

I am unsure of what issues would arise with a digital camera however, as these record to a digital file which has no relevance to PAL/NTSC/SECAM standards, but there may be some issues with the camera if it directly interfaces with the TV or Video. That is where you need to know, and you should not rely on the salesman. It's likely to vary between cameras, so generic knowledge may not suffice.

I suspect all you may save is the GST at the airport. Due to the value you may even have to pay it at this end though (over the personal limit)

noone
09-12-2004, 08:56 AM
but you may lose the warrenty if it is not a international one - which will prob not be the case if you buy a big brand but with local brands you will have no luck

willbry
09-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks 'godfather' and 'noone' for your comments. Much appreciated. Have given me food for thought. I think rthe answer is get it duty free here.Perhaps a little less saving but certainty re- operating and peace of mind
Cheers willbry

somebody
09-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Be wary that buying duty-free isn't necessarily cheaper. I have found that many items are actually more expensive in duty free shops.

godfather
09-12-2004, 10:11 AM
above comment is very true.

Recently a friend proudly showed me his Sony digital camcorder purchased duty free at a NZ airport.
He paid $2,500

I looked on the web, and the RRP in NZ was $1,799.

It was "originally" $2,500 when released I believe (a year ago), but it was an end of line model now and will have been sitting in stock I suspect. As the airport was at the other end of the counry, and he does not want the hassle he is not pursuing the matter.

But it reinforces the above comment.

You will usually save only GST over the RRP at a duty free shop, but retailers "specials" are often much better than that. You have to do the homework though.

For such items, duty free is not always the way to go.

willbry
09-12-2004, 04:53 PM
More food for thought. More homework to be done. Thanks guys