PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Please! Lost Files

Term_X
08-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Went to work and came back to find that a whole folder of my favourite songs has disappeared, also happened to notice that C: increased by the same size that the folder happened to be, and yet during this time the only that thing that was happening was the kid bro playing his computer games, the pc had not reset during this time. is there a chance to recover these files?. i did a system restore and the folder came back but with no files in it?.. can i recover these files or is that it.. theyre gone?, ive since undid the restore to bring it to the same condition as when i had come back from work to find the folder gone.

help much appreciated!

Spacemannz
08-12-2004, 07:02 PM
If u havent deleted whats in the recycle bin you can get them back. There are programs that can undelete files, BUT not too sure what one of these programs are called. However, if you have saved something recently (after the files have been deleted). Whatever you saved may have overwritten some or all of those deleted files.

noone
08-12-2004, 07:23 PM
dont write any thing to the part of the drive where the files were located ( ie in the drive , folder etc ). Most of the software that can do this costs money , but i will look for a useable evaluation version

Murray P
08-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Start here (http://www.tucows.com/filerecovery95_default.html) for recovery software.

metla
08-12-2004, 08:11 PM
The program i use is called REST2514.EXE, works well,have sucessfully recovered peoples files for them a number of times.

metla
08-12-2004, 08:17 PM
dirct link

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/REST2514.EXE

Rob99
08-12-2004, 09:20 PM
I have used GetDataBack for NTFS successfully, find it here (http://www.runtime.org/)

Term_X
09-12-2004, 07:37 PM
thanks for the help guys i used the program suggested by metla and it worked a treat!! never had a pc crash and lose lots of files like that and im very relieved. :-)

Cheers

Term X

ninja
09-12-2004, 11:33 PM
> thanks for the help guys i used the program suggested
> by metla and it worked a treat!! never had a pc
> crash and lose lots of files like that and im very
> relieved. :-)

Doesn't sound like a "crash" to me. Sounds more like an either accidental or intentional deletion.

Term_X
10-12-2004, 12:12 AM
nopes i think windows has done it by itself.. i was low on HDD space on c: about 500 megs left and pc was on while i was at work.. got home.. and the folder was gone .. no one had touched it.. jus wondering if windows sought to create more space by randomly picking a folder to delete it was the biggest size folder on the desktop as well.. not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Biggles
10-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Windows won't do that. I'd say it was a 99% chance human fingers were involved in the crime, whatever your nearest and dearest say.

ninja
10-12-2004, 10:18 AM
> Windows won't do that. I'd say it was a 99% chance
> human fingers were involved in the crime, whatever
> your nearest and dearest say.

Excisely.

Term_X
10-12-2004, 05:57 PM
well i interrogated the suspects who were at home during the time i was at work and they were adamant they only played their computer games but im thinking ninja and bruce youre right that the folder as somehow been accidently deleted on their way to playing their games or they may have been listening to music and somehow endded up deleting the folder!

much appreciation to all who posted and thankfully i have my beloved songs back!

i recommend the program suggsted by metla called "Restoration" to recover recently deleted files :-)

Cheers

Term X