PDA

View Full Version : cd rom not working

blackpool
07-12-2004, 09:36 PM
A friend has trouble with his cd rom , It is not showing up in the Bios. the hard drive has just been formated but he has no operating system in his machine at the moment. I have put my cd rom in his machine and it does not show up either, help needed. blackpool

Murray P
07-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Did you establish whether you needed to change the jumper on your drive to reflect it's location in the drive hierarchy of their machine when you tested it. Did you try their CD in your machine? How old is the CD drive?

Did the problems occur before they re-formatted. What sort of errors before the format if any? What I'm getting at, could they have been related to the CD Rom and/or other hardware issues. Any hardware changes?

Have you checked all the cables, drive jumpers, etc?

Any changes made in the BIOS. Have you tried resetting it to default?

Bletch
08-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Also many older BIOSes are incapable of detecting it as an IDE device in the settings, and instead auto-detect the CD drive at boot time. I have one that does this - just set the IDE channel to "none" and the BIOS may discover the CD drive by itself when you boot. If Windows can see it, then you should be able to use it. Just check the stuff Murray P said first.

Bletch