PDA

View Full Version : msn

wooda2
07-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Hi...... I have never used MSN but someone wants to communicate with me using this. I remember a friend of mine let his daughter put it on his pc and it "took over" and was hard to get rid of. Is there a non MS, spyware free etc etc, chat type prog that will leave me alone when it's not in use, but can "talk" to MSN.
Cheers, Mark

Jen C
07-12-2004, 07:42 PM
Gaim - for Windows (http://gaim.sourceforge.net/). :)

wooda2
07-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Thanks Jen.......I will try this. A bit over my head but looks like supports there :D

Megaman
07-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Trillian (http://www.ceruleanstudios.com). I use it for ICQ, YIM, AIM & IRC as well

lagbort
07-12-2004, 08:13 PM
hmmm interesting, I have been using msn messenger ofr ages and have never once had it "take over" my computer, it seems to be a very tame program compared to most

wooda2
07-12-2004, 08:17 PM
I thought it had tied up his OE6 and he could not get the contacts off easily and there were pop ups coming up all the time saying who was on line when they signed in. I'm pretty sure this was MSN, perhaps I should chk again.

lagbort
07-12-2004, 08:22 PM
yes thats sort of what msn does, but the online notices are hardly obtrusive, just a tiny square in th bottom right of the screen pops up for half a second when someone logs on or starts a conversation with you.

and as for the contacts I dont know, I dont really use OE

Thomas
07-12-2004, 08:25 PM
>>>Is there a non MS, spyware free etc etc.

Yahoo is far better,having used both.

wooda2
07-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Ta lagbort.......i'm on Outlook 2002 but msn's there it seems so will try it too.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
07-12-2004, 08:31 PM
> I thought it had tied up his OE6 and he could not get
> the contacts off easily and there were pop ups coming
> up all the time saying who was on line when they
> signed in. I'm pretty sure this was MSN, perhaps I
> should chk again.

I think MSN Messenger would have to be one of the best software of all times. I have never had any problems with it, except for voice and video. There will be some popups that appear by default, e.g. the MSN Today homepage may show, and a square popping up to say who has signed in, etc. However, these can all be configured to be turned off -should you really need the peace

Susan B
07-12-2004, 08:56 PM
> I thought it had tied up his OE6 and he could not get
> the contacts off easily

That would be Windows Messenger and it does make a bit of a nuisance of itself with OE. You need to go into the Options in both programs to disable from running when Windows and OE is started, and you also need to not have the Contacts list showing in your layout otherwise Messenger will always keep opening with OE.

> and there were pop ups coming
> up all the time saying who was on line when they
> signed in.

They can be disabled from within the Options.

> I'm pretty sure this was MSN, perhaps I should chk again.

MSN Messenger is a different program to Windows Messenger - you need to download it. Windows Messenger comes with Windows.

wooda2
07-12-2004, 09:12 PM
MSN Messenger is a different program to Windows Messenger - you need to download it. Windows Messenger comes with Windows.

Thanks Susan B. That clears it up I feel.

Nighthawk
07-12-2004, 09:16 PM
there's always Mercury Messenger
http://www.soft32.com/download-mercury_messenger-75589-5.html
it comes with some nice features that msn doesn't have including lots of extras to keep you happy ;)

msn doesn't seem to 'take over' for me and you can disable it from starting when you load windows in its options.

also msn 7beta has been released www.msn.com click messenger, beta.
its an improvement from the older version of course and it has this amusing feature called 'nudge'