PDA

View Full Version : device file missing in PC at start up

Winnie
07-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Windows 98: When I start up my PC I get this message "Cannot find a device file that maybe needed to run Windows or a window appilcation. The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists. If you delted the file on purpose try uninstalling the associated application using it's uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the appilcation associated with this device file try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.Vnetsup.vxd. Press any key to continue." It then brings the next page up and repeats the above with dfs.vxd added then press any key to continue" - I can't think what the file is that it's referring to. I had just got the PC back from repairs, and had tried to install Jet Stream which I have successfully done, I don't recall deleteing any files.I had recently uninstalled spyware blaster and PC mighty Max . Hope you can shine some light . Thanks

Jen C
07-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Hi Winnie

Have a read of this MS Knowledge Base Article - Err Msg: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run... (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q166832/), lets us know if you require further help. :)

Graham L
07-12-2004, 04:40 PM
vnetsup.vxd is part of the MS networking stuff. The fix for this message is said to be to remove the Dial Up software, then reinstall it. Even though you're not using dial up, the SYSTEM.INI file doesn't know that. :D

Winnie
07-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Jen and Graham thank you. You guys rock:-)