PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 2 Install

beama
07-12-2004, 07:40 AM
150 mhz
192 Ram
Cdrom
(Not able to boot from Fedora Core 2 disk #1, Disk boots other machines, but able to use Red Hat 7.2 , Knoppix 3 and very early release of Debain to boot from cdrom. I think it is BIOS problem. Cant find a flash update for it)
Floppy drive.
No NIC
8 gig H/D
I have installled the Fedora core on a dual boot laptop and now what to install Fedora Core 2 on this desktop machine but cant seem to find a boot image on the Fedora core disks to make a boot install floppy.

Anyone got any ideas

At the moment I am thinking of installing RH 7.2 then upgrading but when I did this on the laptop the version of Ipchains from 7.2 was not compatible with Fedora and on boot keep throwing error msg and hanging the machine.

Anyone know where I can get a lucent winmodem driver for Fedora Core 2 :p
(I know Jen, buy a decent modem, but its hard trying to plug in externel modem to a laptop and whats even harder a externel modem with a battrey :p)

Chill
that distro you supplied would not boot the machine either and looking at supplied doc's the kernel is too big for a floppy so Im thinking of temp install then compiling a custom kernel see if I can make it smaller

Chilling_Silence
07-12-2004, 08:51 AM
When you say that Vector Linux wouldnt boot the machine, how do you mean? It wouldnt boot to begin install? It wouldnt reboot once installed?

Why are you wanting to boot from a Floppy????

beama
07-12-2004, 10:48 AM
You need two programs
rawrite32 from http://www.fdos.org/ripcord/rawrite/#windows
to write the Smart Boot Manager image to floppy

and

Smart Boot Manager (smb) http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

SBM allows you to boot from any device even cdroms on machines that cannot boot from Cdrom because of age

has been tested on a VERY old laptop and desktop

I know bad form answering own question but this maybe usefull to someone else

Graham L
07-12-2004, 01:38 PM
I found a similar loader on a debian CD. Very useful (it boots any bootable CD ---it doesn't have to be Linux).