PDA

View Full Version : CPU or Mobo Failure ?

i-gordon
02-12-2004, 07:23 PM
My sons comp has just passed away without even a wimper.
PC Co.
Mobo K7VTA3 /KT333.
CPU AMD Athlon 2000
Was working Ok then started getting a bit flaky.
Rebooted and everything loaded OK but the mouse pointer was locked up mid screen.
Rebooted , Same thing.
Rebooted again. Nothing. Black screen. Hard Drive light blinking fast
On closer inspection with the covers off. Power supply fan running. CPU Fan running.
2 hard drives not running. Red LED on Mobo on.
Voltage on HD plug. Yellow/black approx 7volts
Red/black approx 1.5 volts
Anyone have any suggestions or tests I can check to find the faulty part

Spacemannz
02-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Do you hear any beeps at all? Or is it completely dead??

i-gordon
02-12-2004, 07:29 PM
The first time it happened. 1 beep
After that no beeps

drcspy
02-12-2004, 07:42 PM
well your voltages should be 12V and 5v and 3.3V I think.....but take a look at the powersupply unit........on one side it'll have a nice sticker telling you the output voltages of the different wires.............another thing that can happen with those particular boards, ( they're a nice purple ECS board), is they have a habit of selfdestructing capacitors on the baord.....take a close look a the board.......see all the little cylindrical thingys on it ?........they're capacitors...........they can and do sometimes corrupt and if /when they do they'll start to bulge....usually on the top but sometimes on the sides..........if you have any bulgy caps then that is most likely your problem.......if you can find the correct ones and you are *very* handy with a soldering iron you can try to replace them but, and I speak here from experience, its not that much of a fun job lol.......otherwise it's possible that your powersupply unit is starting to fail..........

Raikyn
02-12-2004, 07:53 PM
I had a similar experience happen to me about a month ago. When I turned it on only the Cpu & powersupply fans were running, nothing from the harddrives. I suspected cpu,psu or mobo. Luckily I had a spare cpu and psu tested both out and still nothing. Turned out to be mobo, but I decided to invest in a quality psu as well.

the highlander
02-12-2004, 07:58 PM
The shop in Hamilton that was doing the cmanz warranty repairs for the late great pc company hated those purple ecs boards with a passion. The first month or so after they got the contract for the repairs they showed me a large carton of these mobos. Got to the point that when a pc comp box was brought it they were replacing these boards regardless of whether it was showing faults or not since there was a very high probability it was going to crap out anyway.

i-gordon
02-12-2004, 08:17 PM
I have got the PSU out and on the bench so I can test all voltages, but with everything disconnected except the main its dead. Is there a control circut to start it. Label says PS on green. PG - Grey.

i-gordon
02-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Some of the capacitors are showing slight bulging on top.
Supposing I have to replace the Mobo & CPU can some one suggest a replacement combo with similar performance or moderate upgrade.

Susan B
02-12-2004, 09:18 PM
I have been hesitating to post a reply to this one since I am no hardware guru but then decided what the heck... have you tried replacing the CMOS battery?

I have had several PCs that rose from the dead this way but one of them had to have the battery removed for the better part of a day before being replaced with a fresh one. It was quite impressive. :-)

Disclaimer: No responsibility taken for talking out of my a***, as Metla would put it. :p :D

george12
02-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Can't do any harm though Susan

i-gordon
02-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone I have to leave it now untill tomorrow night.
Anymore suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated.
I borrowed a better multimeter so I can do some more accurate testing.
Tested the CMOS battery 3.2V . I think thats right

the highlander
02-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Your cpu should be fine
just get a new board
Lots of amd gurus here who can suggest inexpensive decent mobos

Murray P
02-12-2004, 10:24 PM
An Asus nForce2 board would be fine for that CPU. There's an A7N8X NForce2 for $137.00 but a Gigabyte GA-7NF-RZ nForce2 for $93.38 both listed on Pricespy. Don't know about the Gigabyte one, someone will come up with some info though.

Is there any chance you can RTM the board to the NZ agent. The capacitor faults are well known and have seen board replacements all over the place.

the highlander
02-12-2004, 11:09 PM
>Is there any chance you can RTM the board to the NZ agent. <

Since it was a pc company board its a very high probability it was one of their parallel import jobs and it would have to be RMA to taiwan.

drcspy
03-12-2004, 04:10 AM
YEP...........slight bulging is all it takes........they're probably the cause

noone
03-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Gigabyte rocks - imo the best mobo brand out there , wont go wrong by buying a gigabyte

i-gordon
03-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Checked PSU with better multimeter all voltages correct, so I guess that narrows the fault down to the Mobo as the most likely.
How do I go about removing the CPU ?
Any special precautions ?

drcspy
03-12-2004, 06:38 PM
nah bulgy caps are dying ........no doubt about it at all...........they are NOT supposed to bulge AT ALL

Murray P
03-12-2004, 06:42 PM
AMD Installation Guides (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348%5e1065,00.html?redir=CPAT07). Pick your poison.

KatiMike
03-12-2004, 06:47 PM
How do I go about removing the CPU ?

Usual antistatic precautions , it can be difficult to remove the heatsink from the processor - have heard sometimes the whole heatsink/ processor may pull out of the socket ... have you still got the mobo handbook?
BTW I second the option of a Gigabyte board - just beware those with Northbridge fans - like the one I'm using now GA-7VA - they can be kinda noisy [ stops and thinks about Zalman ZM-NB32J that should have arrived today ...] , good luck

KatiMike
03-12-2004, 07:02 PM
GA-7N400-L1 looks nice ...
No SATA support tho , or RAID etc , would be a nice replacement tho ..
About $130 - seems reasonable IMHO

i-gordon
03-12-2004, 07:11 PM
> Installation Guides[/url]. Pick your poison.

Thanks Murray,
Have bookmarked this, all the info I need.

Thanks everyone. Should be OK now.