PDA

View Full Version : Memory Problem

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
02-12-2004, 03:48 PM
As you know i've got what some people call as 'crap' (Legend Hynix chipped 512DDR) ram in my new computer. So far, can't be bothered taking it back, but got a message popped up that says the memory cannot be read

Screenshot here (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/error.gif)

Does that suggest crap, faulty ram at all? Or is it a system problem? Just wondering if I should really get off my butts to exchange for a different ram.

Spacemannz
02-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Most probably the program that made the error has a bug. Get an updated version of that progam.

Graham L
02-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Does the BIOS say you've got that memory? Does Windows say you've got that memory? Does Windows crash more often than usual? If it's Yes and Yes and No, the memory is probably OK. If you still wonder, try a respectable memory tester,

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
02-12-2004, 04:01 PM
> No, the memory is probably OK. If you still wonder,
> try a respectable memory tester,

Can anyone suggest one?

Elephant
02-12-2004, 04:09 PM
> > No, the memory is probably OK. If you still
> wonder,
> > try a respectable memory tester,
>
> Can anyone suggest one?

Yes. Memtest86

http://www.memtest86.com/

Whenever I put new RAM in any computer I run this overnight before passing back to the customer.

This may not be the best memory tester but it has the advantage of being free.

Download it then it will make a bootable floppy for you. Boot off the resultant floppy and let it run. Usually 7 passes will show errors.

If you don't have a floppy drive then get back to me.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
02-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks all,

I've just had MemTest86 running on my computer for about 15 minutes. So far, I've taken a photo/screenshot which can be viewed here (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/DSCF0977.gif)

>Usually 7 passes will show errors

What does that mean, so far, I've had one pass. Doesn't a pass mean success. Do you mean 7 errors will show failures?

How long is this meant to run -just continously until one presses Esc to stop it?

Graham L
02-12-2004, 04:33 PM
The test will run "forever" if you let it.

If it's done a full pass, your memory is probably OK. More passes (sets of tests) give more chances of marginally slow memory getting errors.

Of course, a memory testing programme can only show that the memory works (or not ;-)) with that memory testing programme. But I'm a sceptic.

If it passes, it's probably good enough for Windows. ]:)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
02-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Should I be running this test every now and again?

Also -I'm somewhat confused about the CAS Latency of ram modules. At the moment I think I have a Legend module with CAS 3, however, would I be better off (faster, etc.) swapping it for a Transcend Jetram with CAS2.5. Besides the brand, would it add improvements to the system?

Spacemannz
02-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Ive had the same error before. updating the program to a later version fixed it.

If this error hasnt popped up before until now, it wont be your ram.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
02-12-2004, 05:06 PM
> If this error hasnt popped up before until now, it
> wont be your ram.

Yup, I've got that bit, thanks. Sorry- but I'm going off track with my question. The real problem is that I've being given a Legend Hynix chipped 512Mb DDR (T6464D47-BU1LDC9M) ram instead of what I asked which was the Transcend Jetram CAS2.5 512DDR400

I've being told by a few that Legend is crap -but I don't overclock. So should I really be getting back to swap? At the moment I can only bother if it means better performance for my system. If it's just 'Legend is crap, Jetram is good' then I won't bother. Anyone know the CAS of the Legend module? I think it is a 3 -and if so, would 2.5 be better?

Thanks,

Spacemannz
02-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Well if u asked for and paid for different ram, I would take it back and get the right ram.

If u just got the ram, take it back. They'll most probably replace it with the right ram.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
02-12-2004, 05:45 PM
> Well if u asked for and paid for different ram, I
> would take it back and get the right ram.
>
> If u just got the ram, take it back. They'll most
> probably replace it with the right ram.

I only asked because everybody here seemed to tell me Jetram was better. Technically speaking I didn't pay for the Transcend. It was not noted on my order form. Legend was like $122 compared to Transcend $129, but I paid something like $120 for the part (as I got it part of a system). BTW, Legend is the 'default' brand they use for assembling their pre-configured/specified computers.

Anyone have any idea what the CAS of the Legend is?

Murray P
02-12-2004, 05:57 PM
It doesn't matter what they charged you sy, you were supposed to be supplied with a different "superior" memory module. Maybe they normaly only charge $99 for Legend instead of the $120 they charged you, maybe Transend is normaly worth $500 and they charged you $120 that's their choice to make a loss but, that is still beside the point, you didn't receive what was specified and it is arguable if an equivalent replacement was installed (if/) in the event that the one specified was not available.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
02-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Ok, so ignoring the fact that I asked for Transcend - would it be beneficial for my system if I swapped the Legend away. Would the Transcend offer better performance, CAS figure -anyone?, I really can't be bothered if it's just the brand. The Legend is running perfectly fine!