PDA

View Full Version : HP Media Centre - Hype or Not?

Winston001
02-12-2004, 12:15 PM
I see the HP media centre machines are now on the market.
http://www.bigbyte.co.nz/hpmedia/

Would the 3.4ghz model be the bees knees for my camcorder copying and general home use? Only one HD. Is a custom build still a better option?

These machines seem to incorporate the features of a hard-drive DVD recorder making a standalone machine redundant.

metla
02-12-2004, 12:22 PM
specs look ok, I wouldn't touch one but i would imagine it would do what you want just fine.

Price is a bit over the top ,and it will bogged down with HP crap,and configured to there liking (ie-Partners)....but ....meh.......I need to brush my teeth....

Does it come with a monitor?

Murray P
02-12-2004, 12:31 PM
The jury is still very much out on XP Media Edition, one review I saw basicaly rubbished it as a waste of time, could not understand why MS went half way then stopped while other features were just resource hogs with no benefit..

SE model video cards are the low (crap) end of the business and I believe the HP DVD burners have had poor reviews.

Yes, the one with 1024MB of ram would be better but, does not look very good value to me IMO.

Murray P
02-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Forgot to mention, one thing about HP's I particularly dislike but, may not bother you, is the cost of replacement parts and add-ins.

For eg, a neighbour of mine had a failing hardrive, I told him I'd pick him up a replacement drive (a Seagate), he said he'd think about it, next I'd learned he'd paid $250 odd from HP for a Seagate drive that can be got for about $100.00. No doubt it had a utility to migrate or rebuild his Windows/HP partition but, that's not so unique and can be got for free.

noone
02-12-2004, 12:52 PM
you could build your own for a fraction of the price plus gets parts that are good , not hp crao crap crap

Winston001
02-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Cheers guys. Thanks for the advice. I'll try and stay true to PF1 ethics and fight off HP. :D

godfather
02-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Either way, HP or "roll your own", the result is going to be the same.

Legal fees in Southland are going to rise in 2005 ....

Mike
02-12-2004, 10:09 PM
> you could build your own for a fraction of the price
> plus gets parts that are good , not hp crao crap crap

The problem would be getting your hands on a copy of XP Media Centre - apparently they're only available OEM to Media Centre approved resellers (think big like HP, Dell, Gateway etc.)

Mike.

Murray P
02-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Media Centre, bah! the things so choked with DRM Winnie won't be able to download his holiday snaps without selling his soul. You'll need heaps more indemnity insurance Winnie, then your fees will skyrocket to cover it, you'll earn more so your insurance will increase again, so will your fees to cover that and....................... ;)

noone
03-12-2004, 12:03 AM
media centre xp will be some over rated microsoft junk , you can get your own specilised software which will do a much better job

BIFF
03-12-2004, 12:07 AM
XP Media Center [sic] 2004 is very good, I haven't tried 2005. Sure you can build your own, but if you don't have XP media center it will be a right bugger to use on the TV screen (I know from experience). Also even if you do get a copy of the OS trying to find the right hardware to work with it correctly is quite hard. I have given up trying to do the time shifting stuff on my roll your own one, but even the MP3/pictures/videos (inc DivX etc) is still fab.

Murray P
03-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Hmm, I've had a look at a few more reviews of XP Media Centre 2005, it's a slightly crippled version of XP pro with the doo daas added in but, it's getting some good reviews, some simpering extacey, some ho hum, and the odd don't bother (no universal acclaim in other words). But overall it looks like it could be the bees knees with the addition of some good DVD/DivX/ editing software.

I haven't looked at the review sites hard enough to figure out which are the (paid) MS fanboys and which are the, it's MS so it sucks ones. Unfortunately, AFAIK, you can only get it bundled as an OEM, which makes me a little suspicious.

You'll just need to figure out if the media software you buy is enough without also having to shell out for Windows Media Centre.

Spout
03-12-2004, 11:36 AM
How about one of these: http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/377/alienware_dhs_2

Winston001
03-12-2004, 12:33 PM
That looks astonishingly good Spout. Almost too good at the price. I'm not familiar with Alienware. Anyone else?

metla
03-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Prices start at $1,399

That is American,and apparenty they don't ship to NZ....

Rob99
03-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Restricted Shipping Locations

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Burma, Burundi, Central African Republic, Comoros, Congo, Cuba, Ethiopia, Falklands, Guinea Bussau, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Johnston Island, Kiribati, Libya, Mayanmar, Nauru, Niue, North Korea, Poland, Romania, Rwanda, Sao Tome & Principe, St. Helena (S. Atlantic), Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Seychelles, Slovenia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tokelau Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Wake Islands, Western Samoa, and Yemen.

Copied from their Website, you will probally need to email them for dilevery to NZ.

After I added all my goodies the total was $12,064.00. Still a bargain.

Spout
03-12-2004, 01:43 PM
> After I added all my goodies the total was $12,064.00

You got all excited, didn't you!

Growly
03-12-2004, 06:08 PM
>The problem would be getting your hands on a copy of XP Media Centre - apparently they're only available OEM to Media Centre approved resellers (think big like HP, Dell, Gateway etc.)

godfather was right, there are going to be alot of increases in legal fees...

Thomas
03-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Lets hope a decision is made soon,the suspence is killing me.

Winston001
03-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Sheesh. What a pack of cynics. Won't my clients be happy to know they are helping my family explode across the world wide web? A modest 30% increase in fees should be enough. ;)

Murray P
03-12-2004, 07:58 PM
> Sheesh. What a pack of cynics. Won't my clients be
> happy to know they are helping my family explode
> across the world wide web? A modest 30% increase in
> fees should be enough. ;)

Your obviously undercharging at the mo Winnie.

Anyway, don't you guys have trust funds for this sort of thing? ]:)

Rob99
03-12-2004, 11:20 PM
>> After I added all my goodies the total was $12,064.00

>You got all excited, didn't you!

Do you think two 30" lcd's was overkill.

noone
03-12-2004, 11:22 PM
maybe just a tiny bit