PDA

View Full Version : Telecom's G3 - Blah or Ya ??

Steve_L
01-12-2004, 08:31 AM
You have seen the Telecom hype: TG3 - the most advanced mobile network in the world. OK, so it may very well be, but will we use it and like it??

BBC TV's Click Online programme this week featured a G3 debate. To me, a user in Korea (Hong Kong maybe) summed it up by saying she watched her favourite TV soap for 45 minutes but had to pay $50USD to do so!! :O
And presenter Steven Cole put it to a G3 executive: "Don't users just want to make cheap phone calls as a priority?"

When I bought my Vodafone cellphone, it came with a special add on thingie, that allowed me to search for the nearest Coke machine or ATM. Oh wow, gee, how exciting. Like I really need to fiddle and pay to find el crappo drink, or don't know how to find an ATM myself.

Personally, I thing Telecom has hopped onto to new technology that will flop... unless of course the extra features of G3 will be cheap and affordable but I won't hold my breath. For me, I am happier that on Vodafone prepay Motormouth I can phone anytime anyday for 49cents, even to Oz, UK and USA.

BTW, you can see the BBC Click Online programme at 2.30 tonight (Thursday morning actually), TV1, so either stay up late playing the new Halo or set the VHS-DVD recorder.

Whattaya think?

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
01-12-2004, 09:17 AM
The advertising campaigns are great. I love it -kids representing the future, etc. However, I think, unless they drop the price by quite a bit, it won't attract much usage. The average Joe Bloggs user aint gonna afford it. The top class executive will be most likely to use over the limit. I'm still somewhat confused at what market Telecom is actually targeting...

ninja
01-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Blah

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
01-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Sorry forgot to say -Blah

metla
01-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Never used a mobile phone to do anything but make calls,and a very small number of texts.....

noone
01-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Blah

DangerousDave
01-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Blah.
I have a brilliant idea, rather than spending millions on crap that people don't really want (who the hell wants to watch TV on their phone), telecom and vodafone could improve their current networks for cheaper calls and texting.

I got a phone to mostly text and phone, not to listen to teeny bopper ring tones and take pictures of crap!

- David

E|im
01-12-2004, 10:27 AM
I thought places like Japan had a 4G network? Why not skip 3G and just get 4G?

sam_baird2003
01-12-2004, 10:29 AM
i dont want G3 i see no need for it it cost to much any way
all the extra features are expensive

a freind of min bourght a new phone a wile ago $400
and i was saying that he should have just bourght a cheaper vodaphone (his was telecome and he says he wanted $10 text)
i see him a few weeks later and he sed he had spent $50 on crap on his phone
i asked how he had manged to do this with $10 text and he says that he used it all surfing the net on his phone and dowloading ringtones

yingxuan
01-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Ah looks like somebody bet me.Lol.LAst nite i was thinking would 3g Be very popular?I mean 3g is relatively expensive.Sure its fast and all but the price must come down especially Vodafone pricing.I make frequent calls to Hk all the time.I rather use a yabba card or kiaora card as it cost 13 cents to 19 cents per minute.!
I don't think 3g is quite popular with countries down the south.I wonder if 2.5g will ever be dominated by 3g...At the moment in people in Hk uses 2.5g dispite there's a 3g network.According to my dad there's only 1 3g service provider.
The 3g mobiles are quite big and heavy!I think I'll keep buying a 2g fone and see what happens at the end of next year

yingxuan
01-12-2004, 10:31 AM
3g mobile are expensive too.$1599NZ for sony ericsson z1010 now thats expensive.ITs like $650Nz in hk retail shops.lol.
Price must come down!

Steve_L
01-12-2004, 11:53 AM
>>he sed he had spent $50 on crap on his phone
i asked how he had manged to do this with $10 text and he says that he used it all surfing the net on his phone and dowloading ringtones

Yeeee! Well, TeleCON just loves stupid people who don't mind throwing their money away. Enough of these types and G3 could take off. :^O

See the Click Online G3 info, and debate at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/default.stm

Steve_L
01-12-2004, 12:00 PM
And more from Click Online:

"In the harsh light of day, there is one fact that speaks volumes: after four years on the market, only 8% of mobile users around the world use 3G. That is the real wake-up call."

Knowing this, TelecoN goes ahead with G3. Smart? Blah! If they would have put their $$ into cheaper phone and text calls, to undercut Vodafone, it would probably make them more of a profit.

But...?

"Vodafone spent some 14.7bn ($27.3bn) around the world for these licences, 6bn of that in the UK alone. Then billions more to set up the network and overcome technical problems. "

...apparently Vodafone NZ was not included in this expenditure. They probably figured, rightly, that Kiwis would not pay for G3 crapola, and wanted Telecom to sink their ship by getting onto G3. My opinion, anyhow.

noone
01-12-2004, 12:20 PM
forget about the charge to use it what about the phone you will need

nzStan
01-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Can't say much about the 3G cellphone but I've just installed 2 of the Sierra Wireless Aircard based on the new 3G network and by jove they are a beauty.

Around 2mbps bandwidth and steady latency of 100ms to my office network. A year ago we tried their first Aircard and I was getting approx 152kbps and fluctuating latency of 300 to 500ms.

Graham L
01-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Ah yes, "search for the nearest Coke machine". Coca Cola wanted that ... they had this great marketing idea that you could pay for a Coke using your phone. They had the other brilliant customer-friendly idea that the machines would set the price you pay depending on the temperature. :D

somebody
01-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Apparently some Coke machines now can "phone home" and let the local distributor know when stocks are running low and need refilling.

godfather
01-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Coke machines have been modem enabled since the late 90's or earlier.

There are many that are internet enabled, you can check the stock before you visit.

somebody
01-12-2004, 01:45 PM
oh... :p

Growly
01-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Off topic, yes - but one must try and hack a coke machine - the bounty itself would be incredibly refreshing.

As far as T3G goes, I'm not all that excited. Frankly it's amazing, but my untopped up phone with a broken LCD screen is all I need to be contactable.

(Txt messages, voice messages, and making calls are out of the question.)

E|im
01-12-2004, 03:14 PM
With T3G can we have video to video conversations on the phones yet? Otherwsie WTF is the point? To get 2mbits/sec at $10 a MB?

falvrez
01-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Was offered a T3G plan at 300mb for $56 pm which I though was reasonalbe compared to previoous offerings...

Steve_L
01-12-2004, 07:52 PM
> Coke machines have been modem enabled since the late 90's or earlier.

I met the man who invented this and set up the business. Cannot recall his name but I think his company was 'Marconi', located just outside of Masterton (where I live). I believe he sold his company or the guts of it, around a year or two ago.

Alasta
01-12-2004, 08:11 PM
I would love to be able to surf the Internet on my laptop from anywhere, but the prices would have to be a lot lower than they are now. Until the data charges drop, I'm quite happy using WiFi.

I agree with those who say that ringtones, online info, etc. are a total waste of money. But, as they say, there's one born every minute.

Sb0h
01-12-2004, 08:30 PM
The guy who started the whole modem connected coke machine is indeed from Masterton. He still operates there and the business manufactures electronic devices for data telemetry over the internet. His name is Peter Munn and the company is Harvest Electronics (http://www.harvest.com/). If you are in the horticulture industry you should consider one of his frost alarm systems very nice tech, my company owns several.

stevie_boy
02-12-2004, 10:58 PM
> ...apparently Vodafone NZ was not included in this
> expenditure. They probably figured, rightly, that
> Kiwis would not pay for G3 crapola, and wanted
> Telecom to sink their ship by getting onto G3. My
> opinion, anyhow.

Actually Steve_L, Vodafone NZ has sunk way more into their 3G network than Telecom NZ has so far. Telecom: $40 million; Vodafone NZ: $400 million. Check out this (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?ObjectID=3574422) article for more info and this (http://www.vodafone.co.nz/aboutus/media_releases/20040927.jsp) press release from Vodafone with all of their wonderful marketing fluff.

paulw
03-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Don't want to be picky but.. It's 3G not G3.