PDA

View Full Version : Logon ?

Squibler
30-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Every time I try to change the way users log on or off (Windows XP) to the welcome screen, I tick the boxes and click 'apply options' but nothing happens.
I have done it on other computers and it works.

If you know what I am doing wrong, please help.

Kind Regards,
Squibler

Bletch
30-11-2004, 06:13 PM
What version of XP are you running, home or pro? SP2? Logged in as an administrator? and does it have any security policies running that might prevent you from doing this?

Bletch

Squibler
30-11-2004, 06:22 PM
I am running Professional and I am logged on as Administrator.

The computer is leased, so I didn't set it up myself.

Kind Regards,
Squibler

george12
30-11-2004, 06:25 PM
If the PC is leased, what sort of lease is it?

If it is the kind of lease where you practically own it, it shouldn't be a problem - but if it is leased from work or something, it may as Bletch said have security policies preventing you from changing this.

It might pay to talk to the company that leases the PC to you.

Cheers George

Squibler
30-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Dunno what sort of lease it is, but the computer I tried doing it on had EXACTLY the same lease and it worked fine.

Kind Regards,
Squibler

Growly
30-11-2004, 06:59 PM
It may pay to check out the group policy. It's under administrative tools in control panel.

Squibler
06-12-2004, 04:51 PM
I have checked the group policies and I found nothing that could be the cause, Still need help.

Kind Regards,
Squibler

Squibler
07-12-2004, 01:40 PM
After a lot of fiddling, I found an option that made your computer always use the classic logon, I disabled that and it fixed my problem.
Thanks to Bletch, George12, Growly and PressF1-You have been a great help.

Kind Regards,
Squibler

katharinem
07-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Can't get rid of Logon - Home (computer name) box that arrives with Outlook Express, requesting password for server. The Rememebr Password box is checked as I am administrator. Been through options and settings - only takes a couple of seconds to do but is very annoying!! Using XP Home SP2 - have had problems and had to do Application Recovery after trying to reinstall Norton Syswrks 2003. Dumped that and using AVG/Kerio/Spybot/Adaware. (See relevant thread). Help please.