PDA

View Full Version : Windows wants drivers, but it doesn't need them!

Growly
29-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Hello, come to a spot of bother, again.

Installed windows 2000 after much annoyance, and decided to copy over the inf files from win xp so that I didn't have to do as much work. Naturally, this backfired. Windows 2000 now wants to install drivers for the CD ROM drive that it doesn't have, and that belong to Win XP. At first I complied and let them install them nonetheless, but alas, it blue screened on startup.

I'm on a time schedule, so decided to simply leave them uninstalled, but it insists on reinstalling them every time the computer turns on. Which is making me furious.

Whatsmore, I can access the CD ROM drive perfectly with NO drivers installed, yet it wants to waste me and everyone else's time anyway. I figured that this is because W2k doesn't need the drivers that the XP inf files tell it it does.

Furthermore, in device manager it comes up as having no drivers installed, even though it doesn't need them.

This computer was meant to replace an crusty Pentium 2, but isn't getting anywhere - so i'm going to hook the old one back up and pretend it never happened, and fix it when I get home tonight.

It asks for imapi.sys, which it doesn't have. This is normal, as this is apparently a Windows XP file only. My question is this: How the hell do I tell it to not look for this stupid imapi.sys file (which causes blue screens), and to use it's own drivers? I tried installing drivers manually with inbuilt ones, but there's no option to install CD ROM drives. Maybe if you have Windows 2000 you're not meant to have one?

Apologies for the anger with which I write this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Growly
29-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Oh, and I tried disabling it, and turning it off in BIOS, and installing bogus drivers so it would leave me alone - none worked. The only thing that made a difference was unplugging the power from the CD drive.

Spacemannz
29-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Did u try and delete the cd drive itself from device manager?? Then reboot.

Imapi.sys is something to do with XP's cd burning I think? Why 2k wants that I wouldnt have a clue, since it doesnt use cd burning as standard.

If the BIOS detects the cdrom, then yup 2k should pick it up. And it wont need drivers. You would only most probably need drivers, in DOS.

Graham L
29-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Search ("grep") the inf files for the things you don't want, and zap those lines.

Growly
29-11-2004, 09:46 PM
I tried the delete from device manager and reboot thing - didn't have any luck. Not sure which inf files are making it install imapi.sys - the obvious imapy.inf files aren't there.

In the end I gave up and reinstalled Windows.