PDA

View Full Version : broadband limit

arche
28-11-2004, 08:45 PM
hi all,

i am currently on xtra's jetstream explorer which is the 256k connection with 3gb connection. it seems to me that we are about to go over and will definitely do so with the household all on holiday in the upcoming two months.

so, i am just wondering, even if we do really go over, will we be restricted to 64k or not -because on xtra's site, it does say, 'you may be'

reason for not just going straight onto the 2mb 10gb connection is because, by ratios, it will be easier to go over that limit + slightly more expensive. speed is not required.

just wondering if it's really legal for xtra to limit to 64kb once 3gb has being done, even though they say, unlimited, in their advertising

please, we wanna stay with xtra, please dont suggest alternatives

cheers guys!

Ashley Matthews
28-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Um, I thought it was the 10gb (256k and 2mbit) plans that were being advertised as 'unlimited'. Now technically you are getting unlimited access, just not at the same speed. Thus, I doubt anyone would have a case.

I think obviously its designed to safeguard against those p2p etc users who garner 20+gb of international per month (one Wired Country guy got to 220gb!!!)

arche
28-11-2004, 08:54 PM
> Um, I thought it was the 10gb (256k and 2mbit) plans
> that were being advertised as 'unlimited'. Now
> technically you are getting unlimited access, just
> not at the same speed. Thus, I doubt anyone would
> have a case.

well.. just looking at the xtramsn website homepage, it says -'All you can eat, no excess charge'

Raikyn
28-11-2004, 09:17 PM
But the speed will be resticted though.

drb1
28-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Strange isnt it.

When TeleScam do something like reducing speed on unlimited plans, thats ok, or the norm.

When Woosh do something simmular they are "'Evil" as it was put in the thread title.

D.

ninja
28-11-2004, 09:40 PM
> Strange isnt it.
>
> When TeleScam do something like reducing speed on
> unlimited plans, thats ok, or the norm.
>
> When Woosh do something simmular they are "'Evil" as
> it was put in the thread title.
>
> D.

Oh pipe down for a minute and cease ranting - particularly if you don't have a vague semblance of what you are talking about.

The Woosh issue was someone whinging that what Woosh considered "acceptable" use was not what they considered acceptable. Woosh basically said unlimited if use was considered "acceptable".

The Telecom plan is an agreed upon limit at which they would be capped.

Big John
28-11-2004, 10:30 PM
I was told they may or may not reduce my speed when I went over. I guess it depends on how much you go over by and how often.
However they certainly do have the ability to do it.

somebody
29-11-2004, 08:01 AM
Last month we went over by about 300mb, and our speed was not slowed down. We are also on 3gb Jetstream Explorer 256k.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-11-2004, 08:11 AM
We are about 350mb over now, and no sign of slowing down. Will be 500mb all up by the time the monthly period ends.

I wonder if they'll let you over every month?

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-11-2004, 08:11 AM
> Last month we went over by about 300mb, and our speed
> was not slowed down. We are also on 3gb Jetstream
> Explorer 256k.

Have you being over before?

Lohsing
29-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Isn't it $0.20 per mb over your limit if your speed isn't capped?

Lo.

somebody
29-11-2004, 09:14 AM
No.

Lohsing: Telecom introduced new plans where you have "unlimited" internet, however after your monthly quota they cap your speed down to 64k (theoretically). You do not get charged extra, and you do not have any choice whether or not you want capped speed or additional cost (except with the 10gb plan).

ninja
29-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Ok everybody go and read the plan pages before commenting.

Lohsing
29-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Ahhh... I see... Mind you, I've already been capped once... I wasn't happy about it given I had exceeded my 10gb allowance in one week.

Grrrr... Now, I'm worried I'll get capped again! Here's hoping I won't...

Lo.