PDA

View Full Version : amazing...........

drcspy
28-11-2004, 07:12 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Complete-systems/Without-monitor/auction-19144187.htm

johnboy
28-11-2004, 07:18 PM
here (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Complete-systems/Without-monitor/auction-19144187.htm)

drcspy
28-11-2004, 08:33 PM
oh thanks I forgot about that url wrap prob

Baldy
28-11-2004, 09:04 PM
amazing if it works

noone
28-11-2004, 09:22 PM
its a bit expensive just for a toaster pc

crazy monkey
28-11-2004, 09:29 PM
now the real question is.... can it cook you toast/eggs on its 900MHz processer?

mabey we should stick a P4 Prescott in there! THEN YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO COOK SOME EGGS. MUHA HAHAHAHAHAH.

I was reading a review of the earlier prescotts and it started melting the mobo diring testing. (pice of s%*$)

Growly
28-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Wonder what kind of cooling issue he gets on those toasty summer days...

noone
28-11-2004, 10:03 PM
wonder what would happen if someone throught it was a toaster and put bread in it

noone
28-11-2004, 10:04 PM
wonder what would happen if someone throught it was a toaster and put bread in it - maybe even while it was on

E|im
28-11-2004, 10:13 PM
> mabey we should stick a P4 Prescott in there! THEN YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO COOK SOME EGGS. MUHA HAHAHAHAHAH.

Prescotts are not as hot as you think (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1428557).

crazy monkey
28-11-2004, 10:38 PM
NO!

look:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00548/
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTg5

Prescott is just a slight tweak of Northwood (silly intel names) with more L2 cache and more pipeline.

Intel cant even make a 4 GHz chip because the number of chips that they manafacture that are capable of running at such a high speed are so small, and cost inefficiant (like the rest of intel rubbish)

Lets not forget that proper architecture, like AMD Hyper transport Technology, is what really counts.

Happy PressHott-ing

noone
28-11-2004, 10:49 PM
i to have heard of the presscotts heat problems

george12
28-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Most of the Prescott systems I sell run at around 40 degrees (C) at idle.

Can get up to 50 under heavy load.

Cheers George

E|im
28-11-2004, 11:21 PM
> Most of the Prescott systems I sell run at around 40 degrees (C) at idle.

> Can get up to 50 under heavy load.

Yep, about the same as the Barton Athlon XPs.

george12
29-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Or a DURON.

Man, do those little s**ts boil!

Then of course maybe it's just the low quality, cramped, bad PC Company case. Glad it's not my PC :D.

Cheers George

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Do you know what is really amazing...?

The fact that all my computers in the past, have run cool compared to most of you guys. My new PC, Pentium 4 LGA775 3Ghz, as hot as it's claimed by many of you guys out there, only runs at 22 degrees, while motherboard runs about 30 degrees. I have made no modifications! .. Just using the stock stuff.

I live in good old JAFA land, so ain't covered by snow if that's what your thinking about...

crazy monkey
29-11-2004, 09:12 AM
What case do you have?

JJJJJ
29-11-2004, 09:16 AM
I concur with SY. My P4 3.0 runs at about the same temp. And I don't have a case fan.
And Crazy Monkey (well named) and his talk of Hyper Transport. Has he ever heard of Hyper Threading? P4's have it.
I can't understand all this talk of overheating Pentium's. From my personal experience AMD's are about twice as hot as Intel and they all seem to have extra fans.
I am wondering if the people who keep raving on have ever seen a Pentium. They are playing with their Celerons and reading too much of the rubbish put out by AMD.
Jack

crazy monkey
29-11-2004, 09:38 AM
> I concur with SY. My P4 3.0 runs at about the same
> temp. And I don't have a case fan.
take a photo of your casr and prove it! ]:)

> And Crazy Monkey (well named) and his talk of Hyper
> Transport. Has he ever heard of Hyper Threading? P4's
> have it.
Hyper Threading just decreases perfomance and most people I know just turn it off.

> I can't understand all this talk of overheating
> Pentium's. From my personal experience AMD's are
> about twice as hot as Intel and they all seem to have
> extra fans.
Mainstream motherboard manafactures like MSI have even Disabled o/c feaatures on their new boards because of the heat damage the PressHots would do.
And tell me one AMD CPU that is of equal 'speed' (showen by benchmarks etc.) that is twice as hot as an Intel CPU. I just know you cant do it.

> I am wondering if the people who keep raving on have
> ever seen a Pentium. They are playing with their
> Celerons and reading too much of the rubbish put out
> by AMD.
Yes I have seen a pentium, BUT..... I aggree that P4's were faster (until AMD brought it FX line out) but they cost a hell of a lot. But now AMD-64's are beating the pressHots in compatability mode (32-bit mode)
Have you ever seen an real 64-bit cpu (not any Xeon rubbish) run in full 64-bit mode in linux. I bet you don't even know what Linux is.

The Hyper Transport tec. is very very good. It means that sone crappy north bridge chipset doesn't have to do so much work and that ALL the RAM effectively acts as L3 cache.

now Celerons are just worse than AMD sempron. I have never seen a celley do anything better than break.

I just can't wait for the day when Intel and their immature fan-boys wake up to the reality. AMD-64 kicks intel butt. I bet that Micro$oft are being payed by intel to not make a proper 64-bit OS so that AMD can't get a hold on the 'dumb-ass's that don't know how to use Linux. (really, it is good)

Its intel that is saying rubbish about AMD being 'the dark side' not AMD. Are you NUTS?

drcspy
29-11-2004, 09:48 AM
"Hyper Threading just decreases perfomance and most people I know just turn it off"........this sure aint true for multitaskin.........my systems a P4 2.4Ghz with HT and I like it.............

crazy monkey
29-11-2004, 09:53 AM
You mean like compiling five different kernals at onece? WHO neesd to do that???????

I guess that the reason that HT is a compleat wast of time for me is that i play a lot of games and it just makes perfomance worse.

For running lost of word documents and lots of firefox windows, HT won't help - its just RAM you need for that.
And if your using photoshop, you are only applying one filter at one. YOU DON"T NEED HT. turn it off, just try it, you will prefer it

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-11-2004, 04:40 PM
crazy monkey.. take your ignorance elsewhere. I use an fairly average case, nothing more than an Foxconn -far far from the Thermaltake, Li-Lian, expensive stuff etc. . You want me to prove temperature?.. sure.. if I do, how much in cheque will I receive. Do you honestly think we'd lie to you?

I think your the one that needs to face reality. Surely, both AMD and Intel have good and bad points, but personally I decided to go with Intel for my own reasons. In the past I would agree that AMD is cheaper, but now~?.. not likely. While their CPU may be cheaper, their motherboards aren't cheap -the non-Socket A ones.

And do some research when you have time. Microsoft have the 64-bit version of WinXP available for download .. etc. They are going to release it if thats any suprise to you.

Pete O\'Neil
29-11-2004, 05:00 PM
>In the past I would agree that AMD is
> cheaper, but now~?.. not likely. While their CPU may
> be cheaper, their motherboards aren't cheap -the
> non-Socket A ones.
So wouldnt that make a AMD system cheaper SY? ;)

Normal priced mobo + Normal priced CPU = normal priced system.
Normal priced mobo + Cheaper than normal CPU = cheaper than normal system

Have to agree on the Crazy Monkey point though, we can only hope he see's a small shiney object and loses interest in PF1.

crazy monkey
29-11-2004, 05:05 PM
> their motherboards aren't cheap -the
> non-Socket A ones.
What do you mean by not cheap? Do you mean more than $120? If you were to buy a AMD-64, you wouldn't want to cheep out on a motherboard anyway.
I agree though that their socket 939 ones are getting a bit expensive,
(**** that video opening on the side of my screen)

> And do some research when you have time. Microsoft
> have the 64-bit version of WinXP available for
> download .. etc. They are going to release it
> if thats any suprise to you.
Yeah but it won't work well, i bet.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-11-2004, 05:36 PM
> (**** that video opening on the side of my screen)

God that's annoying~ can't they just take it away! It's certainly not encouraging me to buy IDG media.

metla
29-11-2004, 06:00 PM
hmm....$820?

Must be joking,apart from the fact a Duron 900mhz would be my last choice for a project like that (they do run hot....)...there is only a couple hundred bucks worth of hardware in that toaster.

Still...if they do get a good price.....i might have to try and find a toaster or 3....

metla
29-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Or just get a shuttle pc and put the toaster cover over it...

Thomas
29-11-2004, 09:50 PM
>>Or just get a shuttle pc and put the toaster cover over it...

Very enterprising,I like it;)