PDA

View Full Version : Installing Gentoo from Live CD

jcr1
27-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the previous reply, Chill, on John D's particular thread.

I'm just about ready to go; I'm not too bothered about crushing out Libranet as I think it's tidier (in my mind any way) to not have too many partitions and anyway it's dead easy to re-install if I want to - I've done it so many times.

When I install Gentoo (& I take your point, Stage 3 would probably be the best for me) do I need to do anything with the existing bootloader (Grub). I seem to recollect 2 or 3 years ago mucking around with Linux and whether the bootloader was Grub or Lilo it seemed to sort itself out.

What do you find is the best way to view the manual as you work? It seems quite good.

jcr1
27-11-2004, 12:30 PM
I suppose I should mention too; I have a wireless broadband connection, normally get 28-29 KBps downloads, just recently though it's been down to 23 -24. I might have to do a bit of tweaking or it might just be an aberration?

Thanks for the offer of MSN contact Chill, how would I get in touch using that?

Murray P
27-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Be carefull. I've run in to trouble before with Lilo by installing a distro with one already present + windows. Basicall the new install did not kill the old Lilo and fixmbr and fixboot did nothing. I fixed it in the end but it was heart in mouth stuff there for a while. Of course, Grub may play a bit more nicely, I'm not sure as I haven't used it.