View Full Version : A one legged tripod!!!

Heather J
27-11-2004, 11:15 AM
A family member has early stages of Parkinsons disease and her digital photos are starting to show the effects of her shaking, is there such a thing as a flexible 'one legged' tripod for her digital camera? She is very involved in a gardening discussion board and posts lots of photos, so it would need to be flexible for her to get down to her plants. Thanks

27-11-2004, 11:19 AM

You want a "monopod"

27-11-2004, 11:20 AM
What you're looking for is called a mono pod. You should be able to get one from any good camera shop.

John H
27-11-2004, 01:55 PM
It depends on how low she needs to get (ie pansies height or dahlias!), but I am pretty sure some of those walking poles (one brand is Leki, another is Gabel) have provision for a camera fitting on the top. They are telescopic aluminium but they may not reduce to a low enough height. However, this would be a multi purpose solution if they were the right length - if a walking stick becomes necessary for balance.

You could check them out at a good tramping goods store like Bivouac etc.

PS I just checked the Leki www site and they don't say they have a camera mount, but the Gabel www site has one pole called the Traveller that does. It has a wooden knob on the top, rather than the moulded handle that is more common. Here are the dimensions:

(cm/in) L: 59-125 / 24-50
(gr/oz) W: 245/8,64

Here is the website: Gabel (http://www.gabel.net/h-11.htm)

27-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Monopods are relatively the same.
Try to get ones that are thicker stubbier legs as they balance better than the thin lighter weight more compact ones when folded down.

Try to avoid the cheap aluminium if you can, at least get hardened alum. I forget the name. Depending on what you are after you may want a monopod head unit on top. This lets the camera sit straight on but also allow it to be flipped to the side for portrait shots.

Heather J
28-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Thank you so much for your help. I think a few of the family will get together to buy one for a Christmas pressie.

28-11-2004, 10:51 AM
I have a 'Makalu antishock' made by Leki, www.leki.de
The ski type handle-grip screws off so the camera can screw on.
The length is adjustable.
I bought mine in a tramping/outdoor type shop.

John H
28-11-2004, 11:04 AM
>I have a 'Makalu antishock' made by Leki, www.leki.de

Ah, it just didn't say so on the www.leki.com website.

However, I did not look carefully enough before I posted - there are at least four models of Leki pole that have an integrated photo mount, in addition to the Makalu that Peter refers to. If you look at the National Geographic series you will see three of them. There is also the Sierra AS model, so you can basically get any style of handgrip that you want, including a trad walking stick style of handle.

Sorry for being slack with my first post.

28-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Wouldn't holding a one legged tripod have the same "shaking" effect on a camera as not using a tripod?

Why not get a three legged one, they are as light as a one legged one.

Graham L
28-11-2004, 02:35 PM
The other useful stabiliser is a beanbag. Not the furniture type.:D Just a small bag filled with some granular stuff (wheat, beanbag polystyrene beads ...).

Flop it in a table, wall, car bonnet, sit the camera on it, point and shoot.

John H
28-11-2004, 02:49 PM
And it may help if a shutter release cable is used with the camera if you are trying Graham's suggestion - anything that isolates the user's tremor from the camera.

Many modern cameras can also be used with a remote rather than a cable, or you can use the timer in some situations (not good with macro and a breeze when you are trying to catch the moment between zephyrs!).

My digi camers (Olympus C5050) was bundled with a remote and a battery charger in the US of A, but the NZ importer was too much of a cheapskate to offer the full bundle. Didn't stop them charging the same equivalent price though, even with the missing bits... The price for buying the remote as an "after market accessory" (humph) was awful. Sorry, I have been resentful about that for far too long and had to get it off my chest. Too good an opportunity to miss. Mumble mumble whinge whinge....

28-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Sorry to intrude on this - I got an Olympus 5000 with the works - remote, 2 batteries, charger, tripod, bag, 256mb card at normal rate... u musta got stung.

Murray P
28-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Heather J, I presume she has a camera with a mounting point on the bottom.

28-11-2004, 10:42 PM
>Wouldn't holding a one legged tripod have the same "shaking" effect on a camera as not using a tripod?
No. I use a collapsable mono and the effect on stability of the camera is quite dramatic.