PDA

View Full Version : just screwed my bios

im_a_ruba_ducky
27-11-2004, 10:42 AM
last week i posted a post on updating my bios. You can read the post here: updating bios without turning computer on (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=53578&message=341690.)

It turns out the problem was that my graphics card wasn't working :)

i have put my old PCI graphics card, and my computer working fine, i installed windows XP, and everything was still working. Then i installed some drivers for my motherboard, and while i was there i decided to update my BIOS.

Turns out that was a bad idea, now when i turn on my computer it say:

Award bios blah blah...
P4VXAD ver 1.3B 10/01/2002
Main Processor: Intel Celeron(R) 1.7ghz

At the bottom it says hit DEL to enter setup, however nothing happens when i press DEL

1.3B is the version of the BIOS i updated, so it did update.

After that nothing happens, no ram check etc etc.

My Motherboard website is: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=179&MenuID=22&LanID=0

I have tried putting in a floppy, but as it stops after proccessor registers, it doesn't do anything

What i need to do is either change my BIOS back to the original or get this version to work, without accessing my OS or using a floppy or cd.

hope its not impossible and hope this all makes sense.

Please Help!

godfather
27-11-2004, 10:48 AM
If you are using a USB keyboard, try a PS2 one (in case its just failing at the USB legacy devices, which may not be enabled in the BIOS).

im_a_ruba_ducky
27-11-2004, 10:52 AM
i am using a ps/2 keyboard, which was working before i updated bios

Spacemannz
27-11-2004, 11:21 AM
I dont think the BIOS is stuffed, as I doubt it would have got as far as it did, to the post screen. I would say the screen would have been completely BLANK. Or nothing would go at all.

Umm, turn the system off for a minute or so, And turn it back on to see if it boots ok and DEL works.

Or try another kb if u have 1 spare. When you turn the system on, do the lights on the keyboard light up (if there are any )

Are there any beeps when u turn the pc on??

Prescott
27-11-2004, 11:55 AM
yeah try that or rip open the case and take the battery out for like 10 min or so and this will reset the cmos, just incase you changed something you should nt have :p
this wont change the bois back to the old version

im_a_ruba_ducky
27-11-2004, 03:38 PM
turning system off for a minute makes no diff

Tried with anutha kb (ps/2). The lights lit up 4 a sec when i switched the power supply on (black switch at the back) but not when i actually booted the system.

and there were no beeps when i turned my comp on

thanks though, will go take battery out and see if that helps. ill reply after that

im_a_ruba_ducky
27-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Tried taking battery out, left it out for about half an hour, but it didnt change anything.

Also reset the CMOS using jumper pins, well at least i think i did.

Found another website on motherboard if it helps:
http://www.amptron.com/html/p4vxad.html

Got any more ideas?

Spacemannz
27-11-2004, 04:52 PM
If u have anything external (parallel/USB) unplug them. Just have the minimum in the system so the system boots ( the monitor / videocard / the ram / hdd) .

See what happens then.

What else is in the case besides the videocard/modem/ram/hdd's?

im_a_ruba_ducky
27-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Externally i have my monitor, mouse, kb and power plug connected, Internally i hav my HDD, Videocard, ram, 2 CD drives, floppy and PCI modem connected.

I tried booting it up with the minimum (monitor/mobo/ram/videocard), removed or d/c everything else, however no luck.

I have noticed that after resetting the CMOS, everytime i turn the PSU on, using that black switch at the back, my computer very briefly starts up, and then shuts down. This may be sign that the CMOS did reset, or mayb i just screwed sumthing else.

Spacemannz
27-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Umm if it starts and shuts down within a minute it usually means something is overheating. I would leave the power switch on and turn it on with the on/off on the front.

im_a_ruba_ducky
27-11-2004, 06:08 PM
its shuts down after a second of turning on PSU. i hav to turn it off at the back, because ON/OFF button will only turn it on, not off.
It only allows it to be turned off when the OS has started loading.
I figured that was normal as it does it with the computer i am using right now.
But that is off topic slightly, im more interesting in my computer starting up fully, than worrying about the off button not working in the post screen :)

Do you have any more ideas on how to get it to work, or do you think im goin 2 hav 2 take it to a computer place?

Spacemannz
27-11-2004, 06:59 PM
If u have more than 1 stick of ram take one out so theres only 1 stick in the system, see what happens. And make sure the ram is in properly.

im_a_ruba_ducky
27-11-2004, 07:48 PM
i had 2 stix of 128 ram, i removed 1. definetly in properly. still makes no difference.

the problem is the BIOS, i havent added or removed anything, after i updated my BIOS, and it screwed up after i had restarted it after the update.

I had installed a sound driver and some randum windows update background intellgent blah blah, but these wouldnt have made it "freeze" on the post screen.

So the problem is that i updated the BIOS, which it seems i shouldnt have, and now i need the BIOS to unupdate or do something to get it back to the original working BIOS, without using a bootable floppy, as ive already tried that and it doesnt load enough to register.

I don't think im goin 2 be able to do that at my house, so ill think ill take it to a computer shop.

Thanks for all your help.

Terry Porritt
27-11-2004, 08:39 PM
It may pay you to read up about bios bootblock, and how to recover from a corrupt bios flash:

http://www.amptron.com/documents/Recover.pdf