PDA

View Full Version : DVD backup = Coaster :-(

Exwesty
26-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Hi,

Having just bought and installed my 1st DVD Writer, I thought i'd give it a whirl and start making some backups.

I purchased the LG GSA4160B 16x Dual layer writer and installed it into a P4 2.26 with XP pro, 512Mb of DDR ram and 2 x 80Gb Seagate ATA drives.
The drive is installed on the Secondary channel as Master and DMA is Enabled.

It was interesting to note that the Nero software that was supplied on the supplied disc wasn't a full version and that you couldn't burn a DVD without a visit to Ahead to get the full version of Nero Burning Rom, that duly done I rebooted and burned my 1st DVD.

The Burn according to Nero was successful but I did notice the read buffer drop down to bugger all partway throughout the burn, and then the verify written data totally failed. Infact it was still trying to verify the written data some 8 hours later next morning, whereupon I shut it down.

Ok the files that were to be burnt included 2 folders of Jpg pictures of about 300Mb and about 5-6 movies, all up about 4.3Gb

The Pictures appear to be ok on the DVD, I can open and browse those but the movies just hang the computer and Windows media player.

The disks used are MaxMax 4.7Gb 8x DVD-R bundled with the drive

Obviously I wish this not to happen again

I have upgraded the flashrom on the drive to the latest A302

My thoughts before proceeding again are

Disconnect router from internet
Shut down Antivirus scanning, firewall, winamp, messenger etc and then try again.

Do I need to be this drastic at all?

I couldn't find anything in Nero Burning Rom to slow down the drive at all, rather the data rate was something like 5700Kbits per second. The drive does have buffer underrun protection and a 2Meg buffer.

To those of you with burners already, what steps do you take to get a successful burn?

metla
26-11-2004, 08:22 PM
I don't change my habits at all when burning,apart from not firing up a round of doom 3,i leave everything running,including my pvr,multiple web pages and anything else i happen to be doing.

I would try some different media.

metla
26-11-2004, 08:23 PM
By that i mean different DVD's.

Spacemannz
26-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Umm if u have autoprotect enabled disable it. It isnt needed. If you use NAV.

How much memory has your system got and what is it? what speed? CPU?

And what option did u use in Nero, to burn those files to the DVD? Some parts of Nero also need plugins, and theyre not free.

You could also try and use Nerovision 3, thats a good program for burning to DVD/photos etc. Lets u make slideshows as well....

Sb0h
26-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Media is the most likely cause. I've had some media burn as coasters but have found the Verbatim discs excellent with the LG GSA-4081B.

Get yourself some Verbatim DatalifePlus DVD+R, they work great. You could also lower the burn speed and see if that makes a difference.

Chilling_Silence
26-11-2004, 08:46 PM
I agree with Metla and Sb0h - Media makes the difference.

Some drivers prefer certain types. My Optorite 4x DVD+/-RW is happy with Princo Discs, whereas my Samsung Dual-Layered 16x DVD+/-RW isnt. The Samsung is a better drive however it just doesnt like the Princo Media. Reading online reviews, its probably the best DVD Drive around though if using Verbatim Discs!

Big John
26-11-2004, 08:56 PM
> Umm if u have autoprotect enabled disable it. It isnt
> needed. If you use NAV.

It would not be there if not needed. Leave it on.

> How much memory has your system got and what is it?
> what speed? CPU?

Obviously you did not read his post properly as he gave all this information.

If the drive is an external USB 1.1 then you may have issues but anything else should be fine. I have only made one coaster of a DVD and that is because I wrote it in the wrong format via Nero. I was using Recode and it burnt 4.7GB to the DVD as MP4 files but they were unreadable by anything. I only ever use the NeroExpress or the full version now.

Sb0h
26-11-2004, 08:58 PM
I had some Imation discs, which burned ok but couldn't be played in my Samsung set top player. The Verbatim's work fine, it's trial and error. Try finding your drive on VideoHelp (http://www.videohelp.com) and see which media other users recommend.

Spacemannz
26-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Wrong about NAV if autoprotect is on for some things, it can screw some things up.

Yup I didnt look properly bout the speed tho :D

Spacemannz
26-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Kill XP's cd burning its totally hopeless/useless.

Exwesty
26-11-2004, 09:24 PM
I wondered about the Norton because it's set to check a file on any access at all eg write, read, rename etc and if it suspends access whilst it checks it out...... then the buffer will empty.

As regards to the supplied DVD's.....Hmm to my way of thinking, if the shop is bundling them with the drive, then they should work ok, otherwise that brings up the issue of Consumer Guarantees Act and fit for purpose etc.

Have seen talk of making an image file before hand, but I need to get some space on my drives 1st, also I suppose a defrag might help as well if the files are fragmented....

Big John
26-11-2004, 10:40 PM
> I wondered about the Norton because it's set to check
> a file on any access at all eg write, read, rename
> etc and if it suspends access whilst it checks it
> out...... then the buffer will empty.

How are you backing it up?

If you are simply doing a file copy then yes this may happen. If you are using software that does disk at once burning or track at once then Norton will not affect it.

I have had Nortons running on every PC I have ever had and it has never interfered with any CD/DVD burning ever even on slow machines. But then I never use the file copy method. I have used Nero, Rioxio, Novaback, DriveImage and a few others to do complete burns.

Rob99
26-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Get a RW disc to practice with first.

Exwesty
09-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Success on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th attempts

Media supplied with the drive appears to be ok even though it's not a brand name brand.

I just shut down my router and killed off apps running in the tray eg Norton antivirus, Zone alarm, Winamp etc

No drama's doing the burns at all 5473 Kbt's per second and all written and verified in about 30 minutes each

The computers isn't a slug either, ok it's a year old and the proccessor was outdated the day I bought it.....

Rob99
09-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Also make sure the Screensaver is off when burning.