PDA

View Full Version : Page borders in Word

katt
25-11-2004, 11:48 PM
When I place a border on a document in Word (eg, on a certificate), and I try to print the document, word tells me part of the page is out of the print area and cuts off either the bottom border (portrait) or the left side (landscape). Page borders are set at 2.54 & 3.17.

Murray P
26-11-2004, 12:18 AM
Drag the bars at either side of the rule to increase the page width, you'll have to hold your cursor until you get the little double ended arrow before you can drag it, I've found it's sometimes a bit tricky to get your cursor in the right spot without grabbing the indent or tab instead. If you take it too far you'll take it outside the area your printer is capable of printing. A work-around could be to set the printer to Photographic > Borderless Printing or whatever the equivalent is for your printer, if it has that capability that is.

LucyL
26-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Go to options tab on the page border and instead of "measure from edge of page" choose "measure from the text" your borders will then be within the printable area.

Cheers Lucy

Growly
26-11-2004, 06:23 PM
On my old PC this was a limitation set by the printer - no matter how much I tweaked word it would never let me with the chosen printer...

Peter Cox
26-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Paper is pushed through a printer by a pair of pinch rollers and the area between the rollers cannot be printed on because it cant be under the print head while it is between the rollers.
There is always a band about 20 to 30 mms wide across the bottom of a sheet which is physically outside the printable area.
If this is the first sheet of many word will try to print to the limit of the printable area and if you then try to place a boarder, even using measure from text, it will finish up outside the printable area.
Unless MS have changed Word in the past 2 years to fix this limitation, the only way I have found to fool it is to create blank pages with only a boarder and then refeed them and print within the boarder.
Even if you space fill the page to force less lines of print it will measure from the last line of spaces and still refuse to print the boarder.

LucyL
27-11-2004, 12:05 PM
I always use the option to measure from the text and not the edge of the page (options in borders dialogue box) and have not yet come across a printer that won't print the bottom border this way.

Scouse
27-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Hi. Try Print > Scale to Paper size and select the A4 or whatever you are using.