PDA

View Full Version : Loshings - Auto bid complaint

drb1
25-11-2004, 10:37 PM
I did not really understand Loshings complaint thread, About the changes to the Autobid system on Scamme.

Having just had a little play, I understand fully, and agree with his complaint, FULLY.

I only want to go to the higher end of my bid if another bidder enters , I do not want to go straight to my highest bid, weather it is under the reserve or not.

This is nothing but another Scamme, Scam.

I will ever use auto bid again.

I will walk away rather than be tucked by Scambid, on Scamme.

D.

ninja
25-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Don't mind me, just yawning through.

E|im
25-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Autobid was only good for the sellers and Tardme to make more money. You simply get a friend who also has a Tardme account and get them to bid on your auction to put the price up. If they have autobid on, all the better. Then you can afford a few more beers at the pub. :D

Hi ninja. ;)

drb1
26-11-2004, 12:23 AM
The shilling crew, hopefully it will happen to you one day, Or you get caught, and end up with a fraud conviction, then no Financier will want to know you, and you will never get A decent clean job.

As for me, no loss at all, still under reserve, its the principle that Lo was unhappy about, and I agree, the problem goes away once over reserve.

There are some programs for this that also disguise quite nicely the auto nature, I may have to invest in one. As Scamme is so flawed.

I only steal thing's from there any way.

D.

george12
26-11-2004, 02:23 PM
DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH :O

Autobid is TO HELP YOU WIN!!

Now naturally, the ONLY way to win by bidding is to be OVER the reserve!

Therefore, Trademe's autobid naturally bids you up to your limit so that you will meet reserve. Otherwise it is useless.

I thought you dropped your 'Scamme' obsession months ago Drb1. *sigh*

Grrrr X-(

Cheers George :p Now let's be happy

metla
26-11-2004, 02:28 PM
George,They are quite right in this case,Its not a good situation,Trademe have skewed the process,forcing the sale to line their pockets.

Not good at all.

Hopefully at some stage they will have some worthwhile competitor,

Lohsing
26-11-2004, 02:40 PM
> George,They are quite right in this case,Its not a
> good situation,Trademe have skewed the
> process,forcing the sale to line their pockets.
>
> Not good at all.
>
>
> Hopefully at some stage they will have some
> worthwhile competitor,

I'm surprised to have agreement from Metla in this situation!

Good to know that someone else out there knows how the Autobid feature has changed without warning or notice...

Lo.

Lohsing
26-11-2004, 02:41 PM
> Don't mind me, just yawning through.

See, that's the thing I don't get about you... You go to such an effort of posting just to tell us all how much you really aren't interested in it.

No one forced you to participate or draw attention to yourself, you know?

Feel free to "yawn through" without posting.

Lo.

Lohsing
26-11-2004, 02:46 PM
> Autobid is TO HELP YOU WIN!!
>
> Now naturally, the ONLY way to win by bidding is to
> be OVER the reserve!
>
> Therefore, Trademe's autobid naturally bids
> you up to your limit so that you will meet reserve.
> Otherwise it is useless.

There's the problem... "Bids up to your limit" as opposed to "bids up to reserve."

The 2 are completely different and to set it to bid to the limit is a clear conflict of interest.

The autobid feature never used to be like this, and ad hoc changes without warning simply undermine Trademe's credibility as a professional organisation.

I'm all about profit and making money, but if you're not open and upfront about changes which affect the end user, then you end up losing credibility.

Lo.

Dolby Digital
26-11-2004, 02:51 PM
>>This is nothing but another Scamme, Scam.
Of course when you are NZ's No 1 place to buy and sell online, you can change things and not advise anyone. Of course you can take your business elsewhere.

I presume you complained to TradeMe management...

Lohsing
26-11-2004, 02:54 PM
I certainly did. Used Trademe's forums under "Discuss New Features" ... I was subsequently sent a threatening email saying I could be banned for abusing Trademe, etc.

Incidentally, the thread was deleted.

Lo.

Lohsing
26-11-2004, 02:55 PM
> Of course when you are NZ's No 1 place to buy and
> sell online, you can change things and not advise
> anyone. Of course you can take your business
> elsewhere.

Unfortunately, there isn't a viable alternative at this stage.

It's like trying to find a decent alternative to Jetstream with Xtra.

Lo.

Dolby Digital
26-11-2004, 03:08 PM
>> I was subsequently sent a threatening email saying I could be banned for abusing Trademe, etc.
As long as you didn't become abusive, how can they not accept that they don't run a perfect ship. But again when you are one of NZ's fastest growing companies, its all good.

Lohsing
26-11-2004, 03:10 PM
> >> I was subsequently sent a threatening email saying
> I could be banned for abusing Trademe, etc.
> As long as you didn't become abusive, how can they
> not accept that they don't run a perfect ship. But
> again when you are one of NZ's fastest growing
> companies, its all good.

I know... I wasn't abusive at all... I just pointed out this change. Perhaps other ppl figured it out and became abusive?

Lo.

Graham L
26-11-2004, 03:15 PM
What is it with you people?

A bid below the reserve is meaningless. The lot will not be sold if the bidding does not reach the reserve. Can you not understand this? The object is to sell the goods.

A series of "bids" starting at $1 and increasing by $1 for something when the reserve is $100 is just a waste of time.

If someone puts in an autobid with a limit of $50 that will be entered at the limit because it is still under the reserve. That will reduce the number of bids needed to reach the reserve, when the bids become meaningful. Even if it's the only bid, it shows that someone was prepared to pay that much. If the reserve is still greater, the lot won't be sold. This is how auctions work.

If you put in a limit of $100, and the reserve is $50, your bid will be entered at the reserve level. If it's the only bid, you will get the lot. This is how auctions work. If others bid, you'll get it if others drop out before your limit. This is how auctions work.

Do you want to "win" the bidding, but not buy the lot?

I'm not surprised that Trademe don't like this sort of childish abuse.

metla
26-11-2004, 03:25 PM
>The lot will not be sold if the bidding does not reach the reserve.

Have you never used trademe?

Anyhow,a bid below reseve is an offer to purchase,the same as a bid above reserve,and if the reserve isn't met then the seller can offer it at a fixed price to those who bid on the item.

metla
26-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Oh,and a differing view doesn't make something childish,although scorning people as childish for holding a different view is childish.

Lmao.

Just messin.

Lohsing
26-11-2004, 03:30 PM
> What is it with you people?

"You" people? No need to take the high ground here.

> A bid below the reserve is meaningless. The
> lot will not be sold if the bidding does not reach
> the reserve. Can you not understand this? The object
> is to sell the goods.

For goodness sake. If I were buying a house, and I indicated I could spend up to X hundred's of thousands of dollars, it doesn't mean that I necessarily want to spend up to that amount. If I can secure a better deal for myself, why should I go up to my final amount without knowing what the reserve is?

> A series of "bids" starting at $1 and increasing by
> $1 for something when the reserve is $100 is just a
> waste of time.

Obviously you don't use Trademe much? Typically the minimum in that scenario would be $5 increments or $10. Otherwise you'd have ridiculous $0.05 increases.

> If someone puts in an autobid with a limit of $50
> that will be entered at the limit because it
> is still under the reserve. That will reduce the
> number of bids needed to reach the reserve, when
> the bids become meaningful. Even if it's the only
> bid, it shows that someone was prepared to pay
> that much. If the reserve is still greater,
> the lot won't be sold. This is how auctions work.

You're forgetting the point. If my autobid exceeds reserve, then it automatically increases to that amount, not the reserve.

> If you put in a limit of $100, and the reserve is
> $50, your bid will be entered at the reserve level.
> If it's the only bid, you will get the lot. This is
> how auctions work. If others bid, you'll get it if
> others drop out before your limit. This is how
> auctions work.

No it doesn't. If my limit is $100, and reserve is $50, the autobid will mean auction finishes on $100 and not at $50. Likewise, if I want to "secure" the win on the auction and include an autobid after the reserve is met, then I end up paying the top rate regardless of whether someone bid on the auction or not.

> Do you want to "win" the bidding, but not buy the
> lot?
>
> I'm not surprised that Trademe don't like this sort
> of childish abuse.

Have I ever called Trademe, Scanme or Tardme? Nope.

Don't ever generalise me as being abusive to Trademe.

Lo.

Murray P
26-11-2004, 03:52 PM
If all bids stay under the reserve then it is an indication to the seller that the market does not rate their price for the goods. Reserves aren't necessarily a meaningful indication of value.

Remember, a bidder does not know the reserve before the auction starts. To find an auto bid that automatically goes to a bidders limit is a bit disconcerting and would never happen in a real live auction where the bidders are given the opportunity to compete below the reserve to whatever value the bidder's deem appropriate, not the auctioneer's or vendor's idea of appropriate value. The bidders will often feel the auction out, get an idea of the oppositions nerve, etc. That's what an auction is, people competing at a given time to purchase something.

The idea behind this is to find the market value at the time, if this is below reserve, then post auction negotiations are often held, as happens at Trademe. Whacking an auto bid straight to it's limit reveals your upper limit immediately rather than the highest bid in a competitive situation thus revealing your hand to rival bidders and also negating a good deal of any negotiation you may wish to partake in after the close.

Previously an auto bid was only triggered by a rival bid, much like having an agent in the auction house representing you to bid on a sale to a defined limit. You would be very cross with an agent who put your opening bid in up to you defined limit whether above or below the reserve.

The set up now is not typical of an auction, nor is it entirely fair to bidders.

Graham L
26-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Oh dear. Lohsing, I carefully didn't pick out anyone in particular for the "childish" remark.

I don't use trademe much so I used arbitrary amounts as an example. The amounts are irrelevant. I spent three hours today at a real auction. I know how auctions work. Trademe works like a real auction.

Have any of you actually read trademe's written statement of how the Autobid works? There's quite a clear description of how it works.

"If your auto bid is greater than the reserve then a bid is placed for you that is equal to the reserve".

There are explanations of why your autobid might appear to "bid against itself".

In the general rules:

"If the reserve price is not met ... the item will not be sold. Neither the bidder nor the seller will be under obligation to complete the sale if the reserve is not met."

Lohsing
26-11-2004, 04:00 PM
> The set up now is not typical of an auction, nor is
> it entirely fair to bidders.

But (surprise surprise...) it does guarantee a sale and fees for Trademe in facilitating that sale...

Let's all admit, Trademe's business practices are dodgy to say the least and that there is no viable alternative right now.

However, a simple monopoly in the market does not excuse a company's business practices from being open to scrutiny.

Lo.

Lohsing
26-11-2004, 04:05 PM
> Oh dear. Lohsing, I carefully didn't pick out anyone
> in particular for the "childish" remark.

Ok - I am a bit touchy at the moment... tough day at work and all. ;)

> Have any of you actually read trademe's written
> statement of how the Autobid works? There's
> quite a clear description of how it works.
>
> "If your auto bid is greater than the reserve then a
> bid is placed for you that is equal to the
> reserve".

I honestly don't believe that to be true.

> In the general rules:
>
> "If the reserve price is not met ... the item
> will not be sold. Neither the bidder nor the seller
> will be under obligation to complete the sale if the
> reserve is not met."

I know this. But I would still like an opportunity for a seller to offer the item to me for sale at (not necessarily) below the initial reserve.

More often than not, it's offered to me somewhere in between the top bid and reserve price as a compromise.

Trust me, I know how auctions are run and Trademe is most definitely not a typical auction process.

Lo.

Graham L
26-11-2004, 04:10 PM
If the reserve is not met, there is no sale. Seems clear to me. :D

Why not read the Trademe rules, and their explanation in their help pages?

Growly
26-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Ironically, the perfect working hard drive I purchased off trademe a two months ago just crashed and took my server with it...

drb1
26-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Growly,

How unusuall how big was it,

D.

Graham L
26-11-2004, 04:52 PM
If you don't believe that they follow their own rules, why don't you ask them. I'd suggest that you don't use the epistolatory style of some of those here if you want a reply. ;-)

As far as I can see, they give the vendor details of the highest bidder, and they can offer a compromise price. But there is no obligation to do so. Just as you are not obliged to pay your autobid "limit", if it's below the reserve.

I would say it is as "typical" as it can be. :D Live auctions I attend are more entertaining, with jokes and friendly insults between the regulars and the auctioneers.

The list of bids you see on trademe is created by computer. :D Autobids are processed before manual ones, but when two or more autobids are entered together, you might see only the result of "bang- bang" processing with only the limits of the two autobids shown. There's no point in displaying a series of bid increments. The bids are in; they have limits, so the highest limit will "win" at one increment above the next one (or at its limit if that's less . This could easily give the impression that it goes straight to the limit.

drb1
26-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Murray P.

This is the point Trademe is A SCAM so many just cant or wont see it.

You have explained how an Auction below reserve works quite well, and why.

This also show's Trademe as the SCAM it is.

Monthly Education for the masses?

D.

drb1
26-11-2004, 05:20 PM
> DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH :O
>
> Autobid is TO HELP YOU WIN!!
>
> Now naturally, the ONLY way to win by bidding is to
> be OVER the reserve!
>
> Therefore, Trademe's autobid naturally bids
> you up to your limit so that you will meet reserve.
> Otherwise it is useless.

George,

What percenrage of real Auctions sell under the hammer?

What percentage buy "Negotation" after sale DID NOT REACH Reserve?

The top bidder is usually the buyer in the negotiated sales at less than reserve, and frequently less than he was willing to pay.

Hence the maximum immediate auto bid on Scamme is to make money for Scamme, not to run a CLEAN Auction.

A little experience would not go amiss.

D.

Never forget, Never say Die.

Pheonix
26-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Actually lohsing, I haven't struck that at all myself. It seems to operate exactly as Graham described.

If my max bid was over the reserve, then it just reaches the reserve price. Also, if it is under reserve price, then the maximum is registered.

So it is just a little confusing. I just wonder what circumstance could have caused it.
And I have to agree with with regards their response to queries and problems. Total disinterest and gives the impression of "go away and don't annoy us or we will remove you" . They certainly could do with some effort in the public relations area, but I suppose when you grow that fast, who cares.

drb1
26-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Lo,

Have you considered giving the alternatives, oneway, allhours a little multilist support, on the off chance that someting may move and their sites may get better?

Things do sell on them its all related to size.

If the first diss-satisfied hadnt lined up for bellsouth, there would be no vodaphone or woosh?

D.

Graham L
26-11-2004, 05:34 PM
The market value is "what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller."

If I set a reserve price on something I am selling, that is the price at which it becomes worth my while to sell the item. The bidders might not think it worth that much to them. That's up to them. I don't have to sell it at below my reserve price. That's up to me.

There is a big difference in the environment of a real auction and an Internet one. The visual cues are missing for a start, and it's much slower.

But the buying method is the same: "How much is that item worth to me? I will bid that much. If someone wants to bid more, they obviously think it's worth more than I do. Good luck to them. There'll be another auction".

george12
26-11-2004, 05:42 PM
>> "If your auto bid is greater than the reserve then a
>> bid is placed for you that is equal to the
>> reserve".

> I honestly don't believe that to be true.

I sell around 10 items per week on Trademe, and buy about 5 per week, and I can guarantee that this is what I experience in terms of autobid behaviour.

If I auto-bid $100, the reserve is $50 - then an automatic bid of $50 will be placed. That, people, is exactly how I want auto-bids to function. And the horrible unfairness is???

Cheers George

drb1
26-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Ect
>
> But the buying method is the same: "How much is that
> item worth to me? I will bid that much. If
> someone wants to bid more, they obviously think it's
> worth more than I do. Good luck to them. There'll be
> another auction".
>

Graham,

the way the odds have been slanted it makes it harder to set the negotiation field, and its all in Scamme's favour.

The autobid function as it stands, is usless as a real Auction buyers tool.

D.

>
>

CYaBro
26-11-2004, 05:51 PM
I have used TradeMe quite a bit and don't see how some people can keep calling them ScamMe??
Fair enough that there are people who trade on TradeMe who might be scammers but this can't be blamed on TradeMe. It's a risk you take when you buy something online. I think the security features that they have in place work very well. (And I have been scammed once before!) Now I'm just more careful about who I buy stuff from.

In regards to the autobid feature I use it all the time and it has worked exactly how I expected it to. Maybe in this case, when you put in your autobid and it was above the reserve, someone else came along and put in a bid that was the same amount so your autobid automatically shot to your top amount and you then led the bidding because you put your bid in first.
You don't see this on the bids list, all you see is your top amount showing as the winning bid so you might think that TradeMe has automatically put in your top amount.

drb1
26-11-2004, 05:55 PM
> >> "If your auto bid is greater than the reserve then
> a
> >> bid is placed for you that is equal to the
> >> reserve".
>
> > I honestly don't believe that to be true.
>
> I sell around 10 items per week on Trademe, and buy
> about 5 per week, and I can guarantee that
> this is what I experience in terms of autobid
> behaviour.
>
> If I auto-bid $100, the reserve is $50 - then an
> automatic bid of $50 will be placed. That, people, is
> exactly how I want auto-bids to
> function. And the horrible unfairness is???

You have no real world long term Auction experience, If you did you would know it was not about winning, but winning as cheaply as possible.

The profit is in the buying, every time you pay $1-00 more than you needed to, you are giving away $1.33.

Every $1-00 higher your under reserve bid is weakens you bargining position. This applies more so when dealing in $100,000.00 volumes of course.

D.
D.

Graham L
26-11-2004, 05:56 PM
What "negotiation field"? It's a bloody auction. :O The highest bidder (over any reserve) wins. Trademe takes a commission on any successful sale. If you don't bid above the reserve, you aren't buying by auction. If it's not worth (to you) the amount of your bid, don't bid that much.

It's perfectly useful as a buyer's tool.

READ THE EXPLANATIONS.

george12
26-11-2004, 06:06 PM
> You have no real world long term Auction experience

Yeah yeah, so what. IMO a year or two is quite enough to get the feel of how Trademe works!

CYaBro and Graham I agree fully. Autobid is designed to help you WIN by getting OVER the reserve as CHEAPLY as possible.

If you do not wish to win over the reserve, but would rather win UNDER the reserve, and chance it that the buyer will make an offer (about 20% do in my experience) you can - just don't use autobid. Autobid is supposed to make you win by getting it OVER the reserve, so it is not left to offer.

Cheers George

drb1
26-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Graham,

If the reserve is 100 and you bid fifty you may get an offer of 75.

In the real world vendor and emptor can discuss the situation and reach a compromise.

Scamme only has the blunt offer sale killer, once from the vendor, but the same still applies, vendors who listen to the market may lower their offers accordingly.

Going straight to maximum under reserve weakerns the buyer, and much more importantly, lines Scamme's pocket.

D.

CYaBro
26-11-2004, 06:10 PM
> Going straight to maximum under reserve weakerns the
> buyer, and much more importantly, lines Scamme's
> pocket.

How can it do this?? ?:| If the highest bid is under the reserve then there is no sale and TradeMe don't get any money. (Except for what the seller paid to have the item listed)

drb1
26-11-2004, 07:01 PM
> > Going straight to maximum under reserve weakerns
> the
> > buyer, and much more importantly, lines Scamme's
> > pocket.
>
>
> How can it do this?? ?:| If the highest bid is under
> the reserve then there is no sale and TradeMe don't
> get any money. (Except for what the seller paid to
> have the item listed)

The buyer is weakened, because the seller sees the figure closer to reserve, so may not make a lower offer, or an offer as low as they may have if the top bid was lower.

This lines Scammes pocket.

A sale is just beginning when an item does not sell for reserve, it has not ended.

Over the years I have brought over 10,000 items through Auction, over 60% of these were buy "NEGOTIATION".

Because top bid was under reserve.

D.

i-gordon
26-11-2004, 09:45 PM
I dont use Tradme but I am thinking about it so I have been watching this thread with interest. Have I missed something here. If there was more than 1 bidder using autobid then they would be auto outbidding each other untill everyone reached their limit, so the sale would go to the bidder with the highest limit automaticly.

drb1
26-11-2004, 10:18 PM
> I dont use Tradme but I am thinking about it so I
> have been watching this thread with interest. Have I
> missed something here. If there was more than 1
> bidder using autobid then they would be auto
> outbidding each other untill everyone reached their
> limit, so the sale would go to the bidder with the
> highest limit automaticly.

Thats a good if, very rare, but yes then each should increase by incriment untill the lowest of the two failed.

Under the Scamme system, if reserve not met ,each auto bid would immediately be placed at their highest.

Great for Scamme and the Seller.

Auctions are wothless without good quality buyers, something harder and harder to find on Scammme.

D.

D.

george12
26-11-2004, 10:41 PM
> Auctions are wothless without good quality buyers, something harder and harder to find on Scammme.

Well, Trademe works great for me both buying and selling. I have no complaints. They do after all need to make profit, just like me, who uses it.

At the end of the day, Trademe make their money and so do sellers, and buyers get products for whichever price they feel like bidding.

Cheers George

Graham L
27-11-2004, 02:20 PM
So you want to buy by auction without buying by auction?

I can assure you that in the "real world" of auctions, goods are sold by auction. If bids don't reach the reserve, they aren't sold.

Trademe's auction seems to me to be a reasonable approximation to the methods of real auctions.

If the item is worth $X to you, bid that much. If you aren't prepared to pay that much, don't bid that much.

I see classified advertisments in the newspapers, and there is at least one weekly paper which carries ads for secondhand goods. Usually prices are listed, but the vendors will negotiate. Why don't you try that, if you don't like the way auctions work?

Lohsing
27-11-2004, 07:25 PM
> I can assure you that in the "real world" of
> auctions, goods are sold by auction. If bids don't
> reach the reserve, they aren't sold.

Pretty broad statement to make. A clear example of where this wouldn't apply is obviously auctions for houses where reserves are too high and negotiations can be entered into.

Lo.

drb1
27-11-2004, 10:47 PM
> I can assure you that in the "real world" of
> auctions, goods are sold by auction. If bids don't
> reach the reserve, they aren't sold.

LO,

People making statments like that must have no real experience of real world auctions,

After going to them for over 30 years, all over the world for many different types of industry, I think I might Know a little, about how the real ones work 40% plus of sales are buy negotation.

Thats of sales, not totall lots at Auction.

I also question georges 20% will make an offer figure.

I find it to be 80% will make an offer. (On Scamme)

However, only 20% of them will be realistic.

D.

The Commenest words heard in Auction's in the real world.

"Negotiate with you Sir" "Your number is?"

Graham L
28-11-2004, 02:28 PM
A sale by negotiation is not a sale by auction. If the auction closes with no bids reaching the reserve, the auction has ended.

40%, 80% of sales by negotiation? Not in the auctions I go to. Perhaps there are incompetent auctioneers around. Most of the ones I know expect to knock lots down to the highest bidder. Real estate agents probably aren't very good auctioneers. ;-)

"only 20% of them [offers] realistic". ? Depends on whose reality you're talking about.

The commonest words "Negotiate with you, Sir?" Wrong. The commonest words are "going, going, gone."

I remember an auctioneer suggesting "see me later" if the top bid is near the reserve about twice this year. That's in about 55,000 lots in the auctions I've been to this year. Not quite 40% or 80%.

I've been going to auctions for a few years, too. Perhaps I might "know a little".

trademe are in the business of facilitating sales by auction. Therefore they handle automatic bids in a way that leads to completed sales which will satisfy the vendor and the buyer.

Why don't you stick to Buy Sell and Exchange, if you insist on buying only by bargaining?

Lohsing
28-11-2004, 04:45 PM
> A sale by negotiation is not a sale by auction. If
> the auction closes with no bids reaching the reserve,
> the auction has ended.

Are we arguing with semantics or what?

Lo.

godfather
28-11-2004, 05:22 PM
> Are we arguing with semantics or what?

I don't think so.

I usually stay well away from these sorts of "discussions" but this one is intriguing.

TradeMe is an Auction site, and the Autobid is a tool to facilitate Auctions.

Plainly, Autobid is not useful for "negotiation" but that is not what TradeMe is primarily there for. That is not what the Autobid is designed for.

The issue that seems to have annoyed people is more to do with using something for a purpose for which it is not designed than something morally wrong.

Graham L understands the issue well I believe. Others want to use an Auction arena as a negotiated sale arena. In that case, do not use Autobid now, its simply not now designed for that.

croc
01-12-2005, 11:22 AM
This is what happened on a real auction quite recently.
It was a $1res which was in the title, the bidding had got to $6.50, and it was very near the end of the auction. I put in an auto-bid max $8.50 and a bid was put on at $7.00 all fine. Then another person bid so my maximum bid on $8.50 was put on so they were forced to bid $9.00.
Now I would have expected that when they bid they would goto $7.50 and then my auto-bid would goto $8.00.

So the effect is that the other person won the auction at $9.00 when I should have won it at $8.00. So the seller and TM got an extra $ and I failed to purchase.

I'm never going to use auto-bid again!!

user
01-12-2005, 02:44 PM
This is what happened on a real auction quite recently.
It was a $1res which was in the title, the bidding had got to $6.50, and it was very near the end of the auction. I put in an auto-bid max $8.50 and a bid was put on at $7.00 all fine. Then another person bid so my maximum bid on $8.50 was put on so they were forced to bid $9.00.
Now I would have expected that when they bid they would goto $7.50 and then my auto-bid would goto $8.00.

So the effect is that the other person won the auction at $9.00 when I should have won it at $8.00. So the seller and TM got an extra $ and I failed to purchase.

I'm never going to use auto-bid again!!

I read this as: the other bidder also put in an autobid which was higher than yours. The two autobids immediately went up to your maximum then topped it with their bid of $9.00. Any bids below your maximum are not shown when two autobids clash like this. No mystery here. It only appears to jump to a high bid since the intermediate bids between the autobids are not shown.
BTW, I'm happy with most of TradeMe practises.