PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Detected & Deleted Viruses

Kansas
24-11-2004, 11:34 PM
I have borrowed my Sister's pc and have had it for about one week - whilst I am careful not to open any unknown attachments - Norton Antivirus has detected and deleted the following viruses:

W32.Korgo.V and Download.Trojan and W32.Spybot

I read the details from the support page (Norton Antivirus) - but can't make clear the instructions given to fix this. I see that the viruses have been detected and deleted - but I am positive - even though this is a good thing, and infact Norton antivirus is doing it's job - my sister is going to 'SCREAM'. I'd rather not have the 'bright red' virus detected and deleted notification appear when she takes her pc back!!!

I have deleted and cleared the history at internet options and deleted the only thing I downloaded (incredimail).

Can anyone help? Will I have to buy her a new PC? How bad are these viruses?

Thanks.

stu120404
24-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Hello Kansas

Welcome to Press F1 :)

> I have borrowed my Sister's pc and have had it for
> about one week - whilst I am careful not to open any
> unknown attachments - Norton Antivirus has detected
> and deleted the following viruses:
>
> W32.Korgo.V and Download.Trojan and
> W32.Spybot
>
> I read the details from the support page (Norton
> Antivirus) - but can't make clear the instructions
> given to fix this. I see that the viruses have been
> detected and deleted - but I am positive - even
> though this is a good thing, and infact Norton
> antivirus is doing it's job - my sister is going to
> 'SCREAM'. I'd rather not have the 'bright red' virus
> detected and deleted notification appear when she
> takes her pc back!!!

If Norton Antivirus says that if has removed the virus & you have done a another scan of her computer to make sure that every thing is ok, Then I would say the computer should be ok now :)

I Hope this helps in some way

mark c
25-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Run Norton again and it should come up with all geen from what I remember.

If you've (if Norton's) removed any stuff then on a second scan all your status indicators will be green. Anf the it'll look good.

And then yr sister won't SCREAM.

Unless you've buggered it up yourself, which you say you havn't, your sister should be OK.

HTH (still waking up):D

Kansas
25-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Hey thanks :o (Haven't slept!!!!)

Yes all the Norton Antivirus reports are coming up green. The Threat alerts are telling me what was detected etc. I haven't restored the system or turned off the system (as per Norton A/Virus - Symantec guidelines) - but during checking the threads on this page, an alert popped up to tell me 'spybot' was detected and deleted. I can certainly appreciate that Norton is deleting them - but those pop ups are going to ring the alarm bells and 'FREAK' my Sister right out! She'll only see the words 'alert' and 'virus' and BRIGHT RED!!!!

Is there anything I can do to stop these alerts coming up, or remove or clear something to stop these viruses from interferring?

I read the Norton Antivirus 'remedy' - but I am afraid that if I restore the system - I am warned that I won't be able to go back to a previous saved date (to restore to). The basic instructions are to:
1. Turn off system restore 2. Run another scan 3. Clear all history and cookies etc in internet options 4. restart in 'safe' mode (what's this?) 5. turn system restore on.

Am I missing something? Is this fairly common - anyone out there done this?

?:|

Spacemannz
25-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Try this Kansas. http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/

Download it (its only a trial for 30 days I think). update it then scan. If this finds anything in startup/registry, it SHOULD remove it.

mark c
25-11-2004, 08:57 AM
>Is there anything I can do to stop these alerts coming up, or remove or clear something to stop these viruses from interferring?

The only way you're going to not get alerts is to not use the computer. Norton's doing it's fine job. Alerts are normal. If you're sister really is going to go so berserk I suggest you clean it up and turn it off.

Look up Safe Mode in the FAQS, top right.

"Spybot" is a spyware removal program. Sounds like she's got it on the computer and Norton is picking up on the definitions. I f you "delete" Spybot yr sister will kill you. Or no OK maybe not that. Maybe she'll just download another later version, and give you a ticking off for meddling round on her comp.

Which is what you're doing sounds more and more like you're up to. I've done lots of it myself. Sure had some moments of panic. :^O

Spacemannz
25-11-2004, 09:09 AM
Spybot is also a worm / irc trojan / and also goes thru kaaza.

And Korgo is / may also be a worm, which maybe related to sasser, as it exploits an ms vulnerabilty. And also allows remote access.

beama
25-11-2004, 10:14 AM
these alerts do they by any chance metion "system_restore" any where in the alert message, if they do you need to turn off system restore ( which will delete all restore points) reboot the machine re-enable system restore them make a restore point

Kansas
25-11-2004, 04:57 PM
No meddling going on here, just trying to fix a problem - and turning to others for help.

Thanks for your input :)

Vince
25-11-2004, 05:24 PM
For more on the problem try this.

Symantec Security Response - W32.Spybot.WormW32.Spybot.Worm is a detection for a family of worms that spreads using KaZaA file sharing and mIRC. ... W32.Spybot.Worm. Category 2. Discovered on: April 16, 2003. ...
securityresponse.symantec.com/ avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html - 36k

Vince

Vince
25-11-2004, 05:28 PM
There was a link in that when I copyed it.
Here

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

Vince