PDA

View Full Version : Norton Internet Security

David_B
24-11-2004, 10:28 AM
I have wrongly made a firewall rule in Norton Internet Security (a component of System Works 2003) that blocks the downloading of files. I have proved this by disabling Internet Security just prior to downloading and it then works ok. Unfortunately I don't know which rule is the one causing the problem and how to fix it.
Could someone familiar with this product give me easy to follow instructions please.
Dave.

HadO
24-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Depends on what you are using to download the file but as far as Windows XP goes you will need to allow Generic Host Process to access the internet...

What program are you using to download file?

More info please.

David_B
24-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Thanks for getting back to me.
I can't download Norton live updates nor Windows updates.
Also, I tried to copy a PDF file by right-clicking and choosing Save Target As and selecting desktop. No result, even though the flying envolope was displayed, but there was no indication of download speed and time to go.
When I disabled Internet Security all three attempts worked fine.
I'm using XP Professional.
Dave.

HadO
25-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Not too clued up with Norton products - perhaps someone else can help you.

There should be a way to put security levels back to default settings again in the program though.

bonzo29
25-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Not an Answer but a suggestion.

Have you tried emailing Norton,I had a couple of minor problems and they were very helpful and quick too.

lokinz
25-11-2004, 11:37 AM
I had the same problem with Norton Internet Security 2004. There was an application which I downloaded off Symantec's site which restored the default rules, but if you have a different version this may not work. I suggest you search their online knowledge base here (http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/consumer.html). Select the product and version number, and do a search for "restore firewall rules".

I'm not familiar with SystemWorks but I don't think it includes Internet Security so you should select Norton Internet Security and whatever version number is applicable. If it's also 2003 then you may have to uninstall and reinstall it - see here (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/735050b77b1fcece88256bc7005c3bc6/af2c25f5199aa57288256c370054a0f5?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam).