PDA

View Full Version : Scandisk

ooh yeh
24-11-2004, 08:18 AM
I am running Win ME

when I try to run scandisk (in safe mode) it will run in thorough mode only and freezes after 3 to 4 hours.
When I first ran scandisk (in safe mode) it would do a standard check but found errors on disk then defaulted to "thorough check mode" and the standard mode button is grayed out

Please Help

HadO
24-11-2004, 12:45 PM
It sounds like there is a fault with your drive but to check this you would need to give the hard disk to someone else to check on a known healthy system...

You could also download a disk-checking utility from the hard disk manufacturer's website which might give you some more information.

ooh yeh
24-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks Hado

The puter runs fine most of the time but sometimes a programme freezes & when I reboot it it goes into scandisk (as the default because windows wasnt closed down) and I have to press enter to make the machine boot into windows.

It hasn't completed scandisk and repaired any errors.

This is a pain.

Hope some other solution is availble that I can do rather than take it to the repair man

any help would be appreciated.

Jen C
24-11-2004, 05:26 PM
As HadO has mentioned, if you know the manufacturer of your hard drive, you should be able to download their disk checking utility. This generally runs off a floppy and is run when the computer boots up and before Windows even loads. This is another way of checking for errors without using Windows scandisk.

If you don't know the manufacturer of your hard drive, download Everest (http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1) (free) and run that. That program is designed to extract various information about your hardware.

ooh yeh
24-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks for your suggestion Jen C

I will download Everest and run it