PDA

View Full Version : Another XP Network Question

Kwakers
23-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Hi all,
Was asked to have a look at a home network between 2x XP home machines one has sp2 and is formatted with FAT, other has no service packs and is NTFS. The SP2 machine has an internal adsl modem that shares internet access with the other- no problems there. They both share a networked printer with no issues, the fat machine gets its ip from the other with no problem. The problem is that they do not file share at all, authentication / password errors appear, have given the users passwords, as they had none before (same usernames/passwords are set on both machines with admin rights) is this an ntfs/fat issue? have tried no firewalls and all the basic stuff.
Any positive suggestions around? I feel I should be converting the disc to ntfs and also putting on the sp's but time restraints have prevented me so far, is this the answer? I am sort of stepping on someones toes on this one as they have set up everything.

godfather
23-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Its not an NTFS/FAT issue, the network makes that seamless.

Have you actually shared any folders?

Right click on a folder - sharing and security....

Merlin
23-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Run SP2 on the second machine. The permissions issues will be resolved.

The problems are not due to disk file structure but to issues in Active Directory because one machine is updated and the other is not.

Critics of the Bible regard the truth as their most valuable possession. Therefore they are careful to use it as seldom as possible
- Anonymous

Barnabas
23-11-2004, 09:09 PM
I doubt that a home network is using active directory. I would follow gf's advice and check to see if you have actually shared any folders.
B.

Kame
23-11-2004, 09:20 PM
XP automatically shares folders/printers etc, in fact you should be able to get on the network with just the shared printers being active, which it seems.

I wonder if anything in the authentification was altered in SP2? That could be a possibility.

Anyways make sure that the users on one machine exists on the other machine with the same passwords.

Kame

Bletch
23-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Also worth checking windows firewall. I have found this to prevent file sharing on some occasions.

Bletch

Kwakers
23-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the comments, when i mentioned i had done all the basics i was referring to ensuring usernames/passwords matched and there was sharing of folders with the option of allowing network users to change files etc. I mentioned the fat32 and ntfs issue because there have been a few occasions where i have had to get rid of file sids by transferring to a fat volume, or even to dump the volume into linux, handy when people convert the second drive to a dynamic volume then wonder why after a reload they cant see anything. I will sneak in and install the wonderful SP2 when i get time and if that doesnt help hope you dont mind if i pester you again.