PDA

View Full Version : web access over LAN stopped working, help please?

captain_jack
23-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Hello,

I have a home network connected to a broadband internet service. All of the computers were browsing the internet fine, but then all of a sudden mine has stopped working. All of the other PC's are still fine, but mine will not browse the net.

Also file access on the network between mine and the others is slow, and sometimes I can't access some computers, or access mine from them.

The Internet router specifications:
Pentium 200mhz
1.7gb HDD
64mb SD-RAM
Smoothwall Linux 2.x?
2x NIC (one for broadband connection, one to connect to switch)
DHCP Server

My computer specifications (problem system):
AMD 1700XP+ Athlon
40gb HDD
320mb RAM?
Windows 2000 Professional
SiS 900 integrated NIC
DHCP client (auto assign IP)

It was working fine on Sunday night (2 days ago), but then my file sharing program stopped working, then internet explorer, and then finally MSN messenger was the last to go. This all happened over a 10 minute period.

I have done a full virus scan with a recent update of McAfee, and it cleared out 2 copies of the MyDoom virus, and 1 copy of something else.

Does anyone have any idea why it is not working? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam.

Spacemannz
23-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Manually assign your PC an IP address. Not obtain an IP automatically.

Pete O\'Neil
23-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Is this a new wireless network setup? There is a know bug with Windows XP where clients connected to the network wirelessly periodically loose the ability to surf the internet.

Pete O\'Neil
23-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Oh god i didnt read the original post properly, must be a case of mondayitus on a tuesday, disregard my first post.

captain_jack
23-11-2004, 02:47 PM
yes, as you said, mandayitus, as we don't have a single sytem with XP. It's all win2kpro, or 98SE.

I have tried the manual IP address already, but still nothing. This is really bugging me. I have also re-installed NIC drivers on the problem system, and that didn't work either. Maybe the NIC in it is stuffed? If it is, I've got a few spare ISA and PCI cards lying around that I could try.

Pete O\'Neil
23-11-2004, 03:00 PM
unless you assign the DNS server when you assign your static IP's the internet wont work. Older versions of Windows arent the most user friendly, they often get stuck on stupid subnet masks and wont change over, what does ipconfig say about your network settings?

>Maybe the NIC in it is stuffed? If it is, I've got a few spare ISA and PCI cards lying around that I could try.
That would be a good idea, SIS dont exactly have a reputation for quality.

captain_jack
24-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Well I've tried 2 different PCI NIC's, neither worked very well, even on the LAN. No web access at all.

I have just finished a format and OS re-install, and still the problem exists! I m extremely frustrated now, and have run out of ideas.....