PDA

View Full Version : xp sp2 wireless laptop not picking up dhcp

Alvin Alvrez
23-11-2004, 02:23 PM
I have a laptop with xp sp2 installed with a dlink dwl650+ pcima wireless card, an dlink ap950+ ap point connected to a server issuing dhcp (winnt4), the laptop won't pick up an dhcp ip address, can see the conenction and ssid fine, wep key is fine. Other laptops running sp1 are fine and connect getting dhcp every time. I can see other people having the same problem on the internet running sp2, I have tried everyting, anyone else with the same problem?
Any one else fixed this?

Regards
Alvin Alvrez

CYaBro
23-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Does the AP have an IP address in the same range that the DHCP server is giving out?

CYaBro
23-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Try giving the laptop a static IP address in the same range and make sure the connection is working. i.e ping AP, ping server etc

Alvin Alvrez
23-11-2004, 08:33 PM
sure does, I've read ont he net alot about this problem happening after a sp2 update, all of a sudden the wireless card can't pick up a dhcp address, I have tried giving the wireless adapter an ip address and gateway, dns etc, but still to no avail. I removed the device and removed the firewall at one point and it did work for a split second, then I re-enabled the firewall and all was lost again. Even after disabling the fire once again I can't seem to get it to connect again :(
Contemplating removing sp2.

CYaBro
24-11-2004, 08:21 AM
I've set up a few Windows XP SP2 computers with wireless and had no problems at all. If it is not working with a static IP address either then I would look at the wireless settings first.
Are you using the SP2 wireless network configuration or the software that came with the wireless card?