PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good, small, free file splitter?

mejobloggs
22-11-2004, 06:48 PM
I want a file splitter because I have some big files I want to transfer to another computer.

It doesnt need to compress the files, just split them. It needs to be a small download as well.

Any suggestions?

mejobloggs
22-11-2004, 06:53 PM
sweet, found a good one.

http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/

Dunno if there is any better ones, but it looks perfect.

Neil McC
22-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Chainsaw
A free file splitting tool
Split large files into smaller ones.
Current Version is 3.6
Main Features:
* Intuitive user interface
* No setup required - Chainsaw consists of just 2 files
* Input file size may be greater than 2GB
* Chunk size up to 2GB
* Predefined sizes for most media e.g. CD-ROM, DVD etc.
* All your settings are saved between sessions
* You may redirect output to any drive or path
* Adapts automatically to German, English, Danish, French, Portugese, Spanish, Swedish, Indonesian, Italian and Dutch Windows version. That means on a French system it speaks French, on a Spanish system it is in Spanish etc.
* It is free. No obligations, no strings attached.

Here;http://www.schmeusser.siw.de/software/chainsaw.html

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2004, 07:04 PM
http://www.7-zip.org/ does excellent compression also - But the download is about 900kb.

MrBeef
22-11-2004, 07:45 PM
what do you but, 900 kb.

thats quite small, even for dial-up

Terry Porritt
22-11-2004, 07:50 PM
You are spoilt for choice already :)

But for what it's worth, I use Splitter, it is only a 17KB download, small, beautiful, and it works well.

http://www.sarasoft.com/freewares.htm

Mike
22-11-2004, 08:07 PM
> Chainsaw

I second Chainsaw. We use it at work to split 2gb+ files down to fit on CDs. It includes instructions and batch files etc. to rebuild them at the other end (VERY easy to use).

Best of all it's free.

Mike.

4bes
22-11-2004, 08:42 PM
I'm another user of Chainsaw. It couldn't be easier to use. :)

mejobloggs
22-11-2004, 09:47 PM
> http://www.7-zip.org/ does excellent compression also

I like the look of that! I am currently using zipgenius for my zip program, but its a bit big and slow to open.

Also like the look of chainsaw, it has a few things the program i found does not.

Thanks people

Graham L
23-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Why not use ZIP? You're probably familiar with it already, and it gives a bit of extra error checking. The compression is a bonus. :D

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Why not use Zip?

Good question - Here's my answers:
Winzip is becoming bigger and more and more bloated! I like WinZip 6.4 which was somewhere 600 <-> 850 kb IIRC

Better compression:
WinZip doesnt use the best compression methods for the majority of things.

Im yet to try 7z but Ive heard it beats even .rar in most things. Even .ace is better than .zip by-and-large!

Graham L
23-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Mostly I use PKZIP 2.04. The executables are only 20 or 30 kB. :D

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2004, 04:59 PM
I remember that... pkzip and pkunzip - the _real_ zip programs!

Those were the days.....

Sadly Zip isnt the best compression for the majority of things though, and rar is becoming more and more common.

Although in saying that Im seeing a lot more 7z files too!

Graham L
23-11-2004, 05:45 PM
We've been through this before. :_| Twenty odd years ago there were lots of compression utilities around,with arguments about which was best. Partly this was justified because disk space was expensive, and so was FTP. Part of it was that people will still trying to find something to dowith a personal computer. Some people wrote clever programmes --- many of them for compression. Have a look at the Compression directory of Simtel.

But the confusion and the annoyance of having to fetch the neccessary decompressor (and possibly yet another, to decompress the decompressor :O) whenever you FTPed a file, led to a gradual acceptance of Phil Karn's PKZIP as a standard (for PCs. Macintosh, and the Unix community have their own).

Standards (formal or defacto) don't need the best. What's needed is something which works, and everyone has got.

metla
23-11-2004, 06:38 PM
I was amazed when Winzip became popular,i found every version i have had the misfortune to use to be badly laid out,lacking features,intrusive and pig ugly.

Winrar all the way,even if one prefers to compress to .zip.

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2004, 07:11 PM
I agree, I install WinRAR on my customers PCs rather than WinZip, due to the simple fact it does Zip also.

Looks like 7z would be a good replacement for that though seeing as it does Rar, as well as .zip :-)

From the website:
For ZIP and GZIP formats 7-Zip provides compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip

mejobloggs
24-11-2004, 08:43 PM
the 7-zip compression is good as!

Only problem is the time it takes. If you are going to be compressing 100mb + files, then don't bother with the 7-zip compression unless you can wait, or you actually need an extremely compressed file.

Even creating a .zip file on 7-zip turned out to be smaller than winzip. I think, I will have to check that.

I am confused about this "creat solid archive" option, I can't seem to figure out what it does.

Also, another note about the 7-zip compression, if I do it on Ultra, it turns out larger the Max, even though Ultra is meant to be one up from Max.