PDA

View Full Version : Dvd Writer

noone
22-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Hi

We have a lot of old VHS tapes and are looking for ways to put them into some longer lasting digital media , anyway if you buy a DVD writer for the tv , can you record from a VCR ( plug the VCR into the tv and the dvd writer and play the video tape while recording on the dvdrw ) - or is it better to buy a tv capture card and do it via computer instead.

Thanks

Spacemannz
22-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Well either way would work. Depends on how much you want to spend.

I dont know about the inputs/outputs on an external DVD recorder. You would have to go to whatever shop who sells them and check what they have on them. Or go online, if u know what DVD recorder you want, and see what its features are.

BUT I would say, even copying to DVD from a DVD recorder or thru a capture card, you might lose some quality (altho videotape), isnt exactly the best thing to record from.

noone
22-11-2004, 09:49 AM
I think that quality will be lost either way you do it - yet i was just wondering if it could be done becuase having a dvd recoreder for the tv although you will pay alot more could be more practical

Spacemannz
22-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Thats true. An external one would cost more than a DVD burner and a capture card for a PC.

I dont think it'll matter, it might be easier to connect up, with an external DVD recorder. Thats about it.

BUT the outcome would be the same whether u use one or the other.

noone
22-11-2004, 12:47 PM
what sort of quality loss is expected , is it going to significant , noting that the video is from VHS which isnt that good quality anyway

Spacemannz
22-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Dont know. Most probably as good as the video itself. I use a tuner, to record, or a digital video cam, to xfer videos I've taken....

Spout
22-11-2004, 02:15 PM
I think you'll find that VHS is poorer quality than DVD. As long as the cables are good quality there should be minimal loss of quality.