PDA

View Full Version : Genius Brand

theotherone
22-11-2004, 08:03 AM
I am looking at a Genius PCI Lan card.
Does anyone have any comment about quality of this brand .
I just want it for a home LAN for a computer which doesn't get a whole lot of use
Cheers,
Rob

ninja
22-11-2004, 08:04 AM
I dunno about Lan Cards, but their mice last about 2 weeks.

andy
22-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Just get a standard 10/100 Mps LAN card from Dick Smiths. They're only $11 at the moment and work well (I've had a couple for about 3 yrs and no trouble). If you want a gigabyte card, they're at $29.

somebody
22-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Genius mice are quite good (from my experience - this one has lasted me a year, and isn't showing any sign of breaking down).

Genius PC Cases aren't very well designed however.

Greg S
22-11-2004, 09:44 AM
I've had my Genius scanner for about 5 years without any hint of problems

theotherone
22-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Sorry I should have said "wireless"

beetle
22-11-2004, 12:49 PM
All three of my comps have Genius brand mice on them and know probs at all, the only brand i have gone out to deliberatly find to replace other mice, brands.
I would buy more products from this brand going on this range lasting well.

beetle

tweak\'e
24-11-2004, 08:07 AM
genius lan cards are ok. they just your usual cheapo cards which work ok in most desktop pc's. tho i would be inclined to use the generic chipset drivers for the card.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
24-11-2004, 10:21 AM
> genius lan cards are ok. they just your usual cheapo
> cards which work ok in most desktop pc's. tho i would
> be inclined to use the generic chipset drivers for
> the card.

I've got one of their mouse here. It's working quite well. After all, 'you get what you pay'. They are just typical of any cheap hardware, and could almost be considered consumables (after a few years, like most other hardware).

I too, would be inclined to use the generic chipset drivers as I personally believe Genius make their drivers and software way to complicated for my likeing. What seems really simple, e.g programming mouse keys, etc. is made difficult.

My 10c worth!

tweak\'e
24-11-2004, 10:32 AM
small point to add....

mice and lan cards are to different kettle of fish.

as a brand genius makes middle of the road products. not bad but not great.

personally i've found their mice to be good considering the price. if you do a lot of gaming you tend to kill them quite quickly but they are cheaper than a MS mouse.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
24-11-2004, 11:18 AM
I have found MS Mouse to be top of the range; no doubt, their price is too.

However, can I ask what sort of wireless LAN card your looking at buying? Just a normal 802.11g? Which access point are you using now [or will be using]?

I wouldn't say the Genius LAN card are that cheap, they're just in the lower price range. Personally, I'd go for something else... e.g. Gigabyte or Cameo, etc.

theotherone
24-11-2004, 11:41 AM
I am intending to put in an old pc which is used by my family for email and a little browsing. It is situated at present in the living room (near the cable access & Router) and I want to shift it out of the way, into another room
The card I have seen is a "Genius GW-7100 WIRELESS PCI LAN CARD", for $49.50.
I know it is only 802.11b but that is what I have in my notebook and I find it quite acceptable.
I have just bought a new printer which has wireless access and want to enable both my notebook and the PC to access it wirelessly.
Thanks all, for your comments.
Rob

theotherone
24-11-2004, 11:42 AM
That should say " put IT in an old PC"

lagbort
24-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Ive got a genius 24 port switch here, not the greatest backplane for large file transfers, but for lan gaming the difference is not noticeable, and unlike my other switch this has never failed me, so go genius, cheap yet cheerful

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
24-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Sounds alright I guess. Have you had a look in Price Spy (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/)?

Where abouts in the country are you? In Auckland.. there are plenty of chooses. In Christchurch, I'd be inclined to go with the Gigabyte.

My personal preference Asustek, Belkein, Gigabyte, Cameo, Genius... and so on. But I guess if it's only for a old PC, it should do the job just as well.

theotherone
24-11-2004, 03:53 PM
CBC in Chc (were I am) are shown on pricespy as having the genius for $49.50