PDA

View Full Version : Firefox crashing. Why?

Laura
21-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Win98SE
Firefox crashing so often I can't even post full details before losing it again.
Have changed nothing - merely reading PF1.
Have run Spybot & a squared - both clean.
Any ideas (before I lose this post...again)

Laura
21-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Sorry, have to add the info in bits.
I get the message "illegal operation & will be shut down.."
Details are invalid page fault at module Firefox.exe at 016f:005ede2c
plus 4 lines of regsiters , the stack dumps & stuff I don't understand.

the highlander
21-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Have you ldownloaded and run java ?

the highlander
21-11-2004, 11:05 PM
Well it isn't a java error.

Laura
21-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Mozilla Quality Feedback Agent Firefox 10 asking me for info. Am now in a queue there. What is that?

Laura
21-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Have ticked its box now to send auto. Three stacked up - but I've no idea how that helps (Didn't send my email address, as didn't know if it was safe)

the highlander
21-11-2004, 11:11 PM
sounds like an error report. Reporting on your browser crash

Laura
21-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Have java, highlander, but doing nothing with it when this started - and no probs with Firefox till now. Don't have the latest build, though.
Should I upgrade?

Laura
21-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Yes, found it via Google. It's an error report to help Mozilla builders. Don't know if that helps me here & now..?

Laura
21-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Guess at this hour it may have to become a "tomorrow problem."
Thanks, anyway.

Kame
21-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Hey Laura,

I have reason to believe the Quality Feedback Agent is not stable and can crash Mozilla and Firefox. It's quite intrusive to me and can sometimes pop up at random, in which case it usually crashes the site you were viewing.

I would do a Custom Install of Firefox and remove the Quality Feedback Agent from being installed, although this is how they keep track of problems, but it's quite hard for them getting problems on their problem reporter right?

Kame

the highlander
21-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Late at night to start panicking.
but Since you seem to be having no luck at all with this version of firefox either a reinstall of your original version or an update to the latest version really can't make things worse.
Do you still have IE (hiss boo) available as a backup ?

Laura
21-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey thanks, guys.
I'll take your advice on the install, Kame (Now have to find out how to save bookmarks & extensions, though guess the website will tell me)
And yes, have kept the old IE in the background, highlander - just in case...

alphazulusixeightniner
21-11-2004, 11:33 PM
I used to run firefox on Win98, buggy as. Always crashing as you describe and got to the point where I submitted a bug notification to bugzilla asking them to fix it. They couldn't replicate the problem...

Kame
21-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Hey Laura,

Just go into your Bookmarks, Manage Bookmarks, Make sure the upper most folder is selected then Export them and save them to a folder location.

As for Extensions, just recall which ones you have installed, and redownload them, they shouldn't be too big should they? Or you could try keeping a copy of the extensions folder where Firefox was installed, I'm not sure if it relies on other files though.

And when you've reinstalled Firefox, just go back into Firefox, Bookmarks, Manage Bookmarks and then import the file you saved.

Cheers,

Kame

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Its a known fault with Firefox-1.0

Hold Ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel up once then down once.

That'll get it to redraw the fonts.

There are patches circulating - See here (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/19/2018221&from=rss)

Laura
21-11-2004, 11:46 PM
That's a bit of a weird one, Chill.
What intrigues me is why it's decided to do this now, after functioning perfectly for weeks, when I've changed nothing.
(And to have it start when quietly reading PF1 is adding insult to injury!)

Laura
21-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Just checked my Add/Remove Programs Properties & I see I already have 2 Firefoxes listed.
They are:
(0.9.3) and (1.0PR)
I knew I didn't have the latest build, but didn't realised I still had earlier stuff which hadn't uninstalled.
Presume I should dump both for the latest?.

Kame
22-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Yes do a clean install, may pay to leave out the extensions too as some are not compatible until the developers update them for the newer browser.

Still do the custom install though and remove the Quality Feedback Agent.

Uninstall from newest to oldest, it's quite possible that uninstalling the newest will make the removal of the older one non-working. This is usually because it's removed, just the registry entries were not removed.

Kame