PDA

View Full Version : Swap a box

Thomas
20-11-2004, 10:47 PM
What does this sound like.

Swap a Box. Swap your old Computer Box to a new Computer Box. Swap a box includes a Case, Athlon XP2400+ CPU, 256Mb DDR Ram, 40Gb 7200RPM HDD and an Onboard Video, Sound & 10/100 LAN Motherboard. Your other parts, CD-Rom, Modem etc are transfered to the new Box. Your old Motherboard etc could be worth traded in value (Conditions Apply). Take this time to upgrade to Windows XP (Extra Cost). You keep your Monitor, keyboard etc.

$740.

metla
20-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Sounds like you buy a new comp and they keep your old one.

Why not just buy the same package for less and keep your exsisting computer.

You certainly arent getting any discount for the trade in.

Scam.

Lohsing
20-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Sounds like a bit of a rip off to me.

It's basically a new computer, with the old parts (worth bugger all) being re-used.

Lo.

metla
20-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Paying a bit closer attention,That is a complete and utter rip off.

Who is advertising this "deal"?

Murray P
20-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Met's you should try it. At least you'd get the old comp's for the deserving :)

Murray P

Baldy
20-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Go buy a $999 Dell from the Wharehouse.

At least you get a 17 in monitor thrown in, and you get to keep your old computer as well.

What company is advertising that deal?

Not Colin Brown Ltd is it?

mr_rix
20-11-2004, 11:40 PM
>Go buy a $999 Dell from the Wharehouse

WTF!

Those Dells' use seconds (seconds from no name brands!), it even says so, deep down in the fine print.

I wouln't touch them with a bargepole (a very long pole).

Baldy
20-11-2004, 11:55 PM
I was only using Dell hypothetically. There are heaps of other PC on the market for around a grand ~ couldn't think of names, but just remembered that Acer is one other similarly priced brand.

But anyway, on the subject of Dell. They aren't as bad as you make them out to be

metla
21-11-2004, 12:24 AM
I have an idea.

Lets not turn this into a Dell thread :D :D :D

Laura
21-11-2004, 01:56 AM
Your idea's a very good one, metla...

So now we wait for Thomas to tell us who's making the offer he posted about.
There's curiosity from more than those who replied.
The lurkers would like to know as well..

the highlander
21-11-2004, 02:06 AM
Rough estimate of those parts in the swap box come to about $420 and thats being very charitable. They are probably using chumya cases with crappola brand mobos, adata ram etc
Thats a bugger of a lot of labour costs.
throw in the old system which they they will probably point out is "worthless" after they pulled the modem and optical drive out and get it for peanuts and its a sweet little earner for those running this "deal"

drb1
21-11-2004, 02:23 AM
This is our old "Wrecking yard (Exchange) Deal" but this one is very UN ECONOMIC.

We used to sell used tyres this way in our tyre shop to, in the fine print all tyres sold on exchange basis.

That was a bit "dodgier" but there were partners in that shop, which is why I got out of it.

There is nothing wrong with exchange box deals, as long as the pricing is fair.

You get mobo, cpu, ram, Some cards if you want or need, and a box and psu if you want or need, with s/w if you want or need.

If it's being done buy the wright people it can be good for everybody.

Dont know who they are, would like to? so I can put on the stay away from list.

D.

Thomas
21-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Thank you gentlemen, and the answer is....Computer Future ChCh.

metla
21-11-2004, 09:26 AM
another bargin

http://www.computerfuture.co.nz/systemInfo.asp?pCode=CSB024

mark.p
21-11-2004, 09:31 AM
> >Go buy a $999 Dell from the Wharehouse
>
> WTF!
>
> Those Dells' use seconds (seconds from no name
> brands!), it even says so, deep down in the fine
> print.
>
> I wouln't touch them with a bargepole (a very long
> pole).
Perfectly servicable electronic components, IBM do the same. Hint-get a clue.

the highlander
21-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Just rushing down to the airport to catch a flight down to christchurch before these are all snatched up

theotherone
21-11-2004, 09:38 AM
I have bought product from Computer Future in the past and have always found them to be extremely competitive and in each instance where I have bought from them, the best price in town. It is easy for someone else to come along after one has made an offer (as they have now) and then say "I can do it cheaper than that." Computer Future have made the offer and they will either sell the product or not based on what the customers see in it.

theotherone
21-11-2004, 09:47 AM
I think it is a bit rough to bag a company who have to sell stuff to make a profit to survive because some sole-trader says "I would do a better deal than that".
The implication is that all the company in questions prices are suspect.

I would be surprised if there were any retailers out there who couldn't be held to account on the same basis as this. They are all in it to make a profit. That's business.

the highlander
21-11-2004, 12:45 PM
>I think it is a bit rough to bag a company who have to sell stuff to make a profit to survive because some sole-trader says "I would do a better deal than that".
The implication is that all the company in questions prices are suspect.<

Bollocks, Nothing to do with sole traders doing better deals, This place simply overcharges. Less money will buy a system with better specs such as here

AMD Athlon64 2800+ Boxed
Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M Motherboard (with LAN)
256MB DDR400 RAM
80GB ATA 7200rpm HDD
1.44MB FDD
Philips Keyboard
Philips optical mouse
onboard 3D video
Icute case with usb at front
Philips 107e 17" Monitor
56k v.90 Modem
Samsung 12xDVD+R 8xDVD-R4xDVD/RW
2 Channel speakers
onboard sound
Lexmark X1185 All in 1 (Printer Scanner Copier)
Open Office Suite
Microsoft Windows XP Home

$1573 inclusive from the company voted number 1 in NZ by pc world readers
Bigger Hardrive,
better cpu
DVD writer instead of cd-rw

POTUS
21-11-2004, 01:26 PM
> That is a complete and utter rip off.

It's very unprofessional to slag the competition of in such a way.

As the owner of a computer store, Metla, you opinion is naturally biased. You would be best served in keeping out of such topics.

ninja
21-11-2004, 01:32 PM
> It's very unprofessional to slag the competition of
> in such a way.
>
> As the owner of a computer store, Metla, you opinion
> is naturally biased. You would be best served in
> keeping out of such topics.

Stop trying to bait people. So far it's been unanimous agreement that the offer is horifically over priced.

You're looking for trouble, nothing more nothing less, ironically just like the person whose acronymic nickname you post under.

POTUS
21-11-2004, 01:38 PM
> Stop trying to bait people.

I'm not trying to bait anyone. If I was trying to bait Metla I'd do a better job than that. As I said, it's very unprofessional to slag the competition off. It comes back to haunt you - as Metla knows.

Metla owns a computer store with an on-line presence, there fore he cannot possibly be expected to give unbiased input - it's understandable. However using emotive terms like "rip off" regarding other manufacturers or stores is his modus operandi.

TonyF
21-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Until POTUS came in, everyone was discussing parts prices. POTUS switches to personalities again, which invites Moderation ...
Back to parts prices ....

george12
21-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Metla? Biased?

For the entire time I have been at this forum, Metla's advice and opinions on PC related things has been right on track, very helpful, and in no way biased towards his shop.

Has anyone ever heard Metla say to somebody in Wellington "I think the best solution is to drive to Wanganui, and buy a PC from me"?

The prices there are horrifically overpriced - it's a fact that can't be debated with any reason. The deal they sell is worth literally half what that price is, plus perhaps a reasonable $50 labour charge. That "Family PC" deal is also horrible. Hyena case and PSU (300W). Sempron 2400 (nothing wrong with Semprons, just don't belong in a $1600 PC). Only 1 year warranty.

I also think it is fair for Metla to voice his opinion on this shop. He says what he did because it is true, not because the shop is competition. Indeed, this shop is not competition to anybody (except for a poor misled person).

Cheers George

the highlander
21-11-2004, 03:25 PM
>As the owner of a computer store, Metla, you opinion is naturally biased. You would be best served in keeping out of such topics.<

As someone who obviously has no idea of realistic prices you might follow your own advice PUTOS

POTUS
21-11-2004, 06:09 PM
I think it is immoral and unprofessional for the owner of a shop in NZ to make a sweeping statement that another store is ripping people off. He is in direct competition with the store because both stores will ship to you anywhere in the country. I would also consider whether he is setting himself up for a lawsuit for making such a public statement. Whether we think that the stores' prices are fair of not does not justify that accusation from any of us, but Metla regularly makes such sweeping statements against other businesses... Intel and Dell for instance.

metla openly advertises his shop on this forum simply by providing a link to his website in his profile, therefore he must be prepared to take any flak his openly scathing remarks against businesses may bring.

I actually agree that the shops' price is too high, and I would not advise a Friend or acquaintance to buy from them, but I'd stop short of accusing them of ripping anybody off - that's just pure naiveté.

metla
21-11-2004, 06:29 PM
hmm....so being in the industry i don't have the right to call a deal bad value for money?

Interesting planet you live on Potus,Must be damn lonely though.

Now how about you stop trying to fluff everything up into an "event",Your more then a little tiresome.

Anal is probally a better word.

Thomas
21-11-2004, 06:47 PM
All do what I do,just scroll right past the useless bugges posts.
I think we all know to whom I am referring.

So any way,we are not impressed with computer futer?.

By the way,I was told they are owned by Noel Leaming???

POTUS
21-11-2004, 07:10 PM
> hmm....so being in the industry i don't have the right to call a deal bad value for money?

Not at all, but you're leaving yourself wide open if you accuse another business of "ripping people off" publicly. But you'd know that, being the super businessman that you are.

drb1
21-11-2004, 07:18 PM
> By the way,I was told they are owned by Noel
> Leaming???

Source?

D.

Thomas
21-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Mate who bought computer ther was told by one of the staff.

drb1
21-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Leemings have never been scared to "push the envelope' so it possiblle.

D.

alphazulusixeightniner
21-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Somebody ban that Potus guy, it gives me a headache reading all his dribble.

ninja
21-11-2004, 08:35 PM
> Somebody ban that Potus guy, it gives me a headache
> reading all his dribble.

But he's the President Of The United States - just in case no one had worked out the name.

I doubt that company is owned by Noel Leeming - Pacific Retail Group already operate Big Byte as their computer chain.

Plus www.companies.govt.nz lists it as owned by two people in Christchurch.

POTUS
21-11-2004, 08:45 PM
> Somebody ban that Potus guy, it gives me a headache reading all his dribble.

In which case, **Your neighbourhood friendly profanity-bot just removed this reference**, don't read my posts. But since you have decided to do what the others lack the bottle to do, ie call for banning me. Can you please explain which rule(s) of this forum I am in breach of? Contrary to popular thinking, being a pecker wood is not against the rules here, otherwise most of us would be gone.

All I have done in this Topic is to point out, in a fair and rational way, that hopping from foot to foot screaming "it's a rip off" is not very nice. We all have our opinions, I'm simply sharing mine, just as you share yours.

BTW, take 2 panadol and check back in the morning.

[Edited by: Chilling_Silence on Nov 21, 2004 10:05 PM]
Note: Name-calling and profanity needs to be kept to a minimum, please.

metla
21-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Just stop polluting the damn threads Potus.,The subject was about a trade-in deal,Not about your views on anybody else.

POTUS
21-11-2004, 08:57 PM
> Just stop polluting the damn threads Potus.,The subject was about a trade-in deal,Not about your views on anybody else

Rack off Jurgens, as soon as you started accusing innicent people of "rip off" tactics the focus changed, imho.

Once again it's you making sweeping statements that you are unable or unwilling to back up with facts.

Jen C
21-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Honestly Guys! Can't you keep your cool for more than a minute.

Quit the personal comments or this thread will be locked. While locking threads may stop you, think about the original poster who came here for advice.

metla
21-11-2004, 09:03 PM
Joshua Jurgens to be exact.

Wake up to yourself old chap.

POTUS
21-11-2004, 09:16 PM
> Joshua Jurgens to be exact.

Or Joshua David Jurgens....

> Wake up to yourself old chap

Is it sexist to assume that I'm a bloke? It certainly amuses my hubby. Perhaps it's 'cos my ego is bigger than yours?

[Edited by: Chilling_Silence on Nov 21, 2004 10:07 PM]
Your husband might find it amusing, but I have a 4 and a 6 year old now running around my house screaming the word I replaced "Ego" with.... Bed time for them and ban time for you if you dont watch it!

Biggles
22-11-2004, 10:01 AM
That's enough. POTUS, I cut you slack on several occaisions in the past weeks when tempers were running high but it seems to me that you are basically trolling at this point. You are taking over threads and running a personal vendetta against several users. I don't care what your reasons are we have made it totally clear that this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated. No discussion on this topic will be entered into. Banned.