PDA

View Full Version : PC and laptop with same GHz etc - PC much faster ?

Misty
20-11-2004, 01:27 PM
A work colleague tells me that a PC with the same specs as an equivalent laptop will run much faster. He says it is because of cooling issues etc. Is this correct please ?

(He says he finds running applications slow on his laptop - a Mackintosh Apple).
Misty

Graham L
20-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Most PCs using the "Mobile" version Pentiums will be slowed down when running on battery power. This is more for power saving (battery running time) than for cooling.

The settings can be changed, so if you want performance, you can sacrifice running time.

A Macintosh laptop might seem slow. Or fast. Depends on what you are comparing it with. A PC laptop might seem slow. Or fast. Depends on what you are comparing it with. ;-)

Graham L
20-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Most PCs using the "Mobile" version Pentiums will be slowed down when running on battery power. This is more for power saving (battery running time) than for cooling.

The settings can be changed, so if you want performance, you can sacrifice running time.

A Macintosh laptop might seem slow. Or fast. Depends on what you are comparing it with. A PC laptop might seem slow. Or fast. Depends on what you are comparing it with. ;-)

metla
20-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Laptop's underclock the hardware depending on the task they are doing to extend battery life and reduce heat build up.

When these features are turned off they perform better but still don't quite match up with an equilivent desktop.

his mac is slow because Mac's are slow,Can't compere to a pc....

metla
20-11-2004, 01:38 PM
doh...took me 10 minutes to write 3 lines....

HadO
20-11-2004, 01:52 PM
metla > LOL :D

Older laptops that don't use mobile type processors (like early Celerons) and have their power management utils off will preform the same but at the expense of battery running time.

Susan B
20-11-2004, 03:14 PM
I read somewhere that because laptop hard drives run a bit slower than desktop ones that contributes to making the laptop run slower than a desktop equivalent.

If it were all the energy-saving features slowing it down, surely it would run faster when plugged in to the mains and the energy-saving features turned off?

Misty
20-11-2004, 04:28 PM
>>>laptop hard drives run a bit slower than desktop ones>

I do recall my workmate saying that too, Susan. It seems from what everyone is saying that if you switch off the power-saving features and plug in (which is what we would mostly do when - we get eventually buy one - so can work anywhere around the house) then would be the same speed provided the hard drive also spun faster as a result.

Doh - that was a long sentence - and I criticise others for doing that ! :8}
Misty

HadO
20-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Yeah most of them have 4200rpm or 5400rpm - this is to reduce heat output but just adds to the lag... :(

metla
20-11-2004, 05:26 PM
My laptop has higher specs then my desktop,all power saving "features" are disabled and both systems are tuned for performance.....My desktop spanks the laptop.