PDA

View Full Version : Just a bit of hand holding required.

JJJJJ
20-11-2004, 06:56 AM
I have ordered a new motherboard and it should be here today.
And I'm scared I'll make a mess of changing it.
These are the instructions I have written down. Would some knowlegable person look them over and OK them. Once I start I will be incommunicardo till I finish.

Turn power off and remove plugs.
remove cables from PC
Open the lid and remove all detachable Cables boards etc.
Remove six screws and lift M/B out.

Transfer CPC etc and ram from old board and install in new board.
Put new board in case and replace screws.
Re-attach all power cables and wires that came off old board.
Re-install video card

Power up and say a silent prayer.

How does that sound?

The old board is a GA 8IPE 1000 FE rev2
The new one is a GA 8IPE 1000 pro.

The only major external difference is the new one has a LAN connection that I will have to find a hole for.

Then I hope my hard drive will realise the board has been changed and adjust it's settings etc to the new one.

Any comments?

Jack

Mike
20-11-2004, 07:04 AM
A couple of things...

Thermal grease (or whatever it is called) to go between your CPU and fan - you'll probably need some.

If running XP then it should detect your change, but might cause problems. If earlier than XP you'll probably need a reformat/reinstall. If you had to activate XP you might be asked to reactivate it (depends on other hardware changes you may have made in the past I believe).

One question - why are you changing your board? Is the new one that much better? Or did you just want the LAN? Might have been cheaper just to buy a NIC?

Mike.

beama
20-11-2004, 07:14 AM
looks good
but one thing I would add (and we all are guilty of not doing this) read the manual that comes with the board, there maybe some valuable infomation there

JJJJJ
20-11-2004, 07:21 AM
I am useing XP with SP2.
The reason for the change is I broke my battery holder when removing the battery with a screw driver. The batts held in with selotape at the moment. And I don't like it.
The lan is in preparation for installing a router when I switch to broadband.
Jack

Jen C
20-11-2004, 07:28 AM
>The only major external difference is the new one has a LAN connection that I will have to find a hole for.

Hi JJJJJ

The new motherboard will come with a I/O shield which is that piece of metal insert that covers where all the external connectors ports eg mouse/keyboard ports, USB ports, speakers etc, exit from the case. The new I/O shield template will have an appropriate hole for your LAN connection. Just pull out the old metal I/O shield and use the new I/O shield in this case. :)

Catweazle
20-11-2004, 07:34 AM
The extra lan connection is no hassle. The board comes with its own faceplate, so just swap it with the one on the case.