PDA

View Full Version : Dead/Stuck pixels

mr_rix
19-11-2004, 08:13 PM
How common are these in LCD (desktop) screens?

I got one on my brand new screen, and it's really (insert vulgar adjective here) me off.

Any tactics to fix? I heard massging the area sometimes works but not for me.

Stumped Badly
19-11-2004, 08:39 PM
>I heard massging the area sometimes works but not for me
that won't work for anyone
Different manufacturers have different policies regarding dead pixel replacement
Some are 4 some are 10 & i is even 17 before they will replace
I very much doubt you will get a replacement monitor for one dead pixel

metla
19-11-2004, 08:39 PM
There is no fix,I would suggest if it is brand new you return it immediatly and tell them you never agreed to purchase faulty goods..

the highlander
19-11-2004, 08:54 PM
My AOC monitor came with a 3 year zero pixel policy

Murray P
19-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Some manufacturers also have a no dead or stuck pixel guarantee, usually depending on the model. Philips have this guarantee on their business and pro models but not on the consumer model. If it's not covered by the manufacturer policy, but it is in such a position that it is annoying and detracts from your usage of the product, you may have an out in the fit for purpose clause in the Consumer Guaranties ACT. You'd have to check it out.

Murray P

metla
19-11-2004, 09:03 PM
The landscape has changed in the last few months regarding pixel warrenties,LCD's are available in every price range with a 3 year stuck pixel warrentie.Plus prices have dropped so its a good time to buy.

The CMV range (god bless em) have a zero pixel warrenty for an extra $20....

Anyhow,if the screen is brand new then you have right of return no matter what the warrenty.....Its faulty goods.....

the highlander
19-11-2004, 10:14 PM
>My AOC monitor came with a 3 year zero pixel policy<

That should be dead pixel policy which means I don't have to wait until every pixel on the screeen is dead before i get a replacement :-)

metla
19-11-2004, 10:18 PM
I would double check that if i was you,just looking over some specs i see an AOC unit listed as 3 yrs Bright Pixels Free,that only covers stuck pixels...not dead pixels.

Not to say that the model and warranty on my pricelist has any correlation with what you purchased....

mr_rix
19-11-2004, 10:52 PM
CMV? Why was I not told about that warranty?

Other than the dead pixel, I really love their 17" model CT-722A, sharp, bright and good colours.

I actually work at the place I bought it from so I don't think I'll have a problem, I'll take the 3 day old display model that has no dead pixels.

mr_rix
19-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Just to clarify, I have a STUCK pixel, not a dead one.

But it does chage colour, say, using PF1, the background is white, so the pixel shows up red, where as if the screen is black (screensaver) the pixel is blue.

george12
19-11-2004, 11:43 PM
Take it back. You can.

If it doesn't work as it should, you are allowed to get a refund/replacement.

Cheers George

Alan Cottrell
20-11-2004, 10:05 AM
> CMV? Why was I not told about that warranty?

That question brings us back to the hoary old chestnut, If your purchasing any major PC equipment make sure you buy from someone who knows what they are talking about.

I do not think you have a leg to stand on under the consumer guarantees act.

The warranty for the model you bought is precisely clear and states exactly the amount of dead or stuck pixels that constitute a claim under warranty.

Therefore 1 dead stuck pixel is clearly defined as part of the manufacturing tolerance, you bought the monitor knowing that (it says so for anyone who cares to read it) and unless you was intentionly mislead by the retailer, ignorance of the warranty is no defence

To have a defendible claim under the guarantee act the product has to be shown to be either defective (not in this case, you bought it knowing the limitations) or cause the customer to be misled by claims of it's functionality (again not in this case) as Metla as already alluded to most manufacturers have models in each series range that have bright / stuck pixel free warranties.

In your case you should have purchased the CMV CT - 722AB which carries this warranty, purchase price difference around $30.00 retail

Perhaps if you go back and embarrass them by asking why the difference in models and the consequences of buying the cheaper version was not explained to you at the time of purchase, they may be persuaded to exchange it for you

AC

mr_rix
20-11-2004, 11:30 AM
>ignorance of the warranty is no defence

I had another look, no mention of any dead/stuck pixel toleration on the box, in the manual, or in the quick start guide.

Like I said earlier, I work at the place I bought from, so I shouldn't have a problem.

Anyone know how long the 0 bad pixels warranty lasts?

metla
20-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Its a cmv?

The warrenty details are provided on a warrenty sheet (A4) that will be in the box,I do believe that its provided by the importer.

mr_rix
20-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Yes, it is a CMV.

Nope I only got:

Quick Start Guide
User Manual (on CD)
An assortment of cables
One envelope size piece of paper with Asian characters on it

Murray P
20-11-2004, 11:58 AM
You seem to have a case.

Murray P

theotherone
20-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Allan, Your comments may be applicable if Mr Rix was a normal retail customer but as he works at the place he bought it from (and maybe sold it to himself??????) it hardly seems that he can throw the book at them (Himself). I would be interested to hear if he gets different treatment to a regular customer in a similar situation.
The other question it raises for me is how much the salesman (ie all salesmen) knows about the products and the warrantees and conditions that go with those products.
I jumped to the defence of a salesman at a DSE the other day, and I must add to my comments. I had occasion to go to a different DSE yesterday, to look at a $500 printer. Now I would have thought that the staff would have been falling over themselves to sell a printer of that value. The person who served me gave me the impression that he couldn't give a toss. And that is what he did, toss a roll of tape up in the air and catch it for the 10 minutes I talked to him about the printer and print servers I was interested in. Needless to say DSE Manchester st won't be selling me that new canon printer

Stumped Badly
20-11-2004, 12:52 PM
The waranty for CMV monitors (AS Model) says the LCD has to have 3 or more dead pixels in heavy places,
not on the outside edges, apparently they don't count, must be in the middleish area before you can claim warranty
I think the AB model which is dearer has a 3yr dead pixel warranty but I don't know if it's 0 Tolerance or not.
90% of LCD's will Develop 1-2 Dead pixels in the first couple of years

Apparently Philips have a 0 Pixel Tolerance, but of course are dearer

metla
20-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Philips is only bright pixel,the distiction has to be made betwen bright/stuck and dead.
Philps also offer the same models with different warrenties,with a small price difference,There warrenty is no better then the cheaper brands.

AOC 15" LCD LM520i TFT LCD, Slim, 3 yrs Bright Pixels Free, built in power adaptor, Silver/Black
CMV CT522AS 15" TFT LCD, speakers, silver black
CMV CT522AB 15" TFT LCD, speaker, Bright Pixels Free, silver black
Philips 150S5FB 15" TFT LCD, Black
Philips 150B5CS 15" TFT LCD, Silver, Bright Pixels Free
ViewSonic VE510B, 15" TFT LCD, Black, 3 yrs Bright Pixels Free & On-Site Warranty
ViewSonic VE510S, 15" TFT LCD, Silver, 3 yrs Bright Pixels Free & On-Site Warranty
ViewSonic VG510S, 15" TFT LCD, DVI & Built-in Speaker, Silver, 3 yrs Bright Pixels Free & On-Site Warranty

LCD 17"
AOC 17" LCD LM721 TFT LCD Monitor, Silver/Black
Direction L7AK2 17" TFT LCD, speaker, silver
CMV CT722AS 17" TFT LCD, speakers, silver black
CMV CT722AB 17" TFT LCD, speakers, Bright Pixels Free, silver black
Philips 170S5FB 17" TFT LCD, Black
Philips 170B5CB 17" TFT LCD, Black, DVI & Speaker
ViewSonic VE710B, 17" TFT LCD, Slim Bezel, Black
ViewSonic VG710B, 17" TFT LCD, DVI, speaker, Black
ViewSonic VG710S, 17" TFT LCD, DVI, speaker, Silver
ViewSonic VG712S, 17" TFT LCD, DVI, Speaker, Silver, 12ms

LCD 19"
Philips 190S5FB 19" TFT LCD Flat Panel, Black
Philips 190B5CB 19" TFT LCD Flat Panel, Bright Pixels Free, Black

Warranty Details
LG: 3 years on-site + pixel free replacement warranty 0800-234-963 or 0800 2 fix it
ViewSonic: 3 years on-site + pixel free warranty 0800-00 88 22
AOC: 3 years on-site warranty 0800-484-7825
Hyundai: 3 years on-site warranty 0800-662274
Philip: 3 years on-site warranty 0800-657-447 / 0800-477-999
Mag CRT: 3 years Return To Base warranty
Direction: 3 years Return To Base warranty
CMV: 3 years Return To Base warranty

mr_rix
20-11-2004, 01:44 PM
I have the AS model.

The bad pixel is about 2 inches down and 3 inches to the left.

Through my calculations, that is only 0.000000762939453125% of the screen area (1 pixel out of 1310720).

I know I'll get used to it, but I think I'll swap it for the pratically new display model, I'll also ask about that warranty.

Thanks for your help guys! Big help!

As for DSE, I personally don't think I would ever buy from them unless I have to. Like it says in the PC Buying vs Building FAQ 'most of what DSE sells are no-name parts' or something like that.

mr_rix
20-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Metla,

Could you please explain the difference between a bright pixel & a stuck one? (are they different?)

Dolby Digital
20-11-2004, 02:02 PM
>>The person who served me gave me the impression that he couldn't give a toss.
Maybe he didn't. :) Don't you know that customers can be a pain in the bum :)

metla
20-11-2004, 02:02 PM
A dead pixel is blank, no light left in it, Not as annoying as a stuck pixel which is displaying the one colour,

Either way I tried using an LCD returned to me with a stuck pixel (was going to keep the unit for my own use if the distributor was going to be difficult...hmm...now that I think of it the item in question didn't have the warranty details with it, I got the impression I wasn't the first person that had taken delivery of the item) anyhow, even with the one stuck pixel I found the entire screen unusable, My eyes were always drawn to the bright green dot.... and it made game playing disorientating...

mr_rix
20-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Thtas kind odd, the colour of it appears to chage.

Here's a chart referring to the colour of the pixel

Background________Colour of Stuck Pixel
Dark Blue Black
Light Blue Darker Blue
Black Blue
White Red
Red Red
Green Blue

Graham L
20-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Well, make sure the background is always red, and you'll never notice it. :D

theotherone
20-11-2004, 04:49 PM
> >>The person who served me gave me the impression
> that he couldn't give a toss.
> Maybe he didn't. :) Don't you know that customers
> can be a pain in the bum :)

You all know that customer may not always be right, but he is always the customer, 'bye DSE Manchester St.

theotherone
20-11-2004, 04:50 PM
What he didn't know was that I had the cash on my pocket and was ready to buy.

Murray P
20-11-2004, 09:12 PM
If the thing is not fit for purpose, then IMO, you can take it back. What is acceptable to a retailer or manufacturer is not necessarily acceptable to the wider public.

If some manufacturer want to say 5 or 5000 stuck, dead or bright pixels is acceptable good luck to them. Just because it is in the fine print does not make it acceptable, you can't contract out of the law. If however they clearly state that this item may not work as you expect, could have minor faults that you will find annoying, do not buy this product if you want to use it for XYZ, then you have been fully appraised and buy at your own risk.

Murray P

robsonde
20-11-2004, 09:23 PM
when i got my LCD it had one bright green pixel in lower left. i thought it would be no problem, after a month i decided it was a problem and decided to see what could be done.

the suppler said "not our problem , ring the 0800 number for the manufacture that is on the box."

the manufacture said "no problem" they paid freight both ways and gave me a new screen in less then a week.

over the last 18 months i have brought 3 LCD screens and two have had bright pixels, both replaced no problems in less than a week.

Murray P
20-11-2004, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't go back to that supplier then Derek, unless it was a wholesale B2B purchase. Even then they should be more customer focused. Under the CGA, it is the retailers responsibility to replace, repair or refund.

Murray P

robsonde
20-11-2004, 09:48 PM
it was a wholesale purchase.

which as far as i know makes it my problem.

they give very good prices are do RMA for most of the stuff they sell but a few things are a case of going to the manufacture.