PDA

View Full Version : Installing Win98 on laptop with one drive available at a time

asdex
19-11-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm having problems installing windows 98, I'm trying to install the OS on a Compaq LTE 5250 with a swapable floppy and cd-rom drive, heres where it gets sticky the hard drive is already formatted so i dont have the cd rom drivers any more. The drives can't be hot swapped. I am trying to install the Win98 startup disk to the harddrive but are having problems. I have needed to edit the autoexec.bat file to stop it looking for A drive but still it looks complicated to achieve. Any ideas?
Thanks

CYaBro
19-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Can you get into the BIOS and tell it to boot from the CD-ROM first?
Because the Win98 CD is bootable so you wouldn't need to worry about the Win98 Startup Floppy disk.

Pete O\'Neil
19-11-2004, 04:13 PM
> Can you get into the BIOS and tell it to boot from
> the CD-ROM first?
> Because the Win98 CD is bootable so you wouldn't need
> to worry about the Win98 Startup Floppy disk.
I thought it was only Windows 98SE that was bootable? If your Win98 CD isnt bootable and you can get into the BIOS you could probably make a bootable CD version of the 98 boot disk.

POTUS
19-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Do you have access to a CD burner? Or are you able to boot to a USB memory key? If you need one I can give you a bootable cd rom to get you ito DOS.

nomad
19-11-2004, 04:37 PM
format c:/s then C: is bootable. do this with a win98 startup disk with CD ROM support. refer to windows to make one.

then copy the CD to the HDD ....

install windows from the C: Drive.

nomad
19-11-2004, 04:40 PM
if no drivers refer to google and make ur own ...
format a:/s then copy and edit the system files as approp ....

Graham L
19-11-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm not quite sure what the problems are. ;-)

Can you boot with the W98 setup floppy? If so, SYS C: will make the hard disk bootable. Then xcopy *.* C:\ . Edit c:\autoexec.bat ... change all "a:" to "c:".

Turn the machine off,switch the drives, and start up. You might need to alter CONFIG.SYS to get the right driver for the CD drive. It's supposed to try until it gets one that works from of the four it it has. You might be lucky.;-)

asdex
19-11-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks, there a couple of good idea's there. I will try to copy the Win98se (it is) to the hard drive. These laptops don't boot from the cd drive and don't have USB. I can boot ok from the startup disk and if windows 98se will install from dos I think it may work.
Thanks,

Graham L
20-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Of course W98SE will install from DOS. It is a DOS programme. :D

If there's room on the disk, it's certainly worth copying the installation directory ("WIN98"?) to a directory called the same which you create ("md c:\win98") on the hard disk. (XCOPY is the best way to copy), Then, cd win98
setup should get you on the way. Doing the install from the hard disk means that the files are always there, and found with no problems whenever you add or repair anything.

asdex
22-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi thanks for that but without the cd drivers installed I can't copy the CD. I did sort it though. I found a very good program with 25 tries before you buy called "Link Maven". I copied the whole win98 cd to the hard drive using a laplink cable then deleated the stuff I didn't need as there wasn't enough room on the HD for an instalation. Then I installed from the HD and it worked. I had tried to send the Win98 directory only but it didn't work. Thanks for everyone's help
asdex