PDA

View Full Version : Old PC, new hard drive, IDE controller, help!

harlequin_orion
19-11-2004, 07:04 AM
Hi, I recently bought a new hard drive, Western Digital parallel ATA, 80GB (WDD800) and tried to install on my pretty outdated PC (Pentium 3 500Mhz, 128MB RAM)
I am installing this new hard drive as the only hard drive in my PC as my case is small and can't fit 2 hard drives, so I took out my old hard drive.

It turns out that my motherboard does not recognise this new drive which is understandable the motherboard is old.

I checked out a few options to work around this. 1. I could flash my BIOS, but the motherboard company hasn't put out a new version and I am too chicken to flash it antway. 2. I read an article on PCWorld.co.nz (somewhere I can't remember) that the easiest solution is to install an IDE controller.

So I did. I bought "Silicon Image SiI0680 Ultra 133 Medley ATA RAID controller" Installation took a while but I got there and got Windows XP installed.
But here remains a problem I still can't solve, hopefully one of you computer geniuses can help.

On booting, the BIOS correctly shows that my primary master and slave are empty (primary master was where I hooked up my old hard drive which I now disconnect) and my secondary master occupied by a CD writer. Then the controller kicks in telling me my new hard drive is installed on it. But then a message "Disk Boot Failure" comes up and I can't boot. This occurs when I set boot sequence to "C - CDROM - A"
But interestingly, when I set the sequence to "CDROM - C - A" and I leave my Windows XP disk in the CDROM, when it gets to booting, it asks me to press any button to boot from CDROM, when I ignore this to prevent booting from the CD, viola, Windows XP boots from my new hard drive.

Can anyone tell me how I can get around this? I don't when to have to leave my Windows XP disk in there everytime I boot up.

Thanks

CYaBro
19-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Hi and welcome to PressF1!

If your BIOS allows the option, try setting the first boot device to SCSI and see what happens.

harlequin_orion
19-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks for replying. And yes, I tried that as well, but it again says disk boot failure, any more ideas?

Graham L
19-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Is the BIOS old enough that it will let you set the "Hard Disk" to "NONE"?

I "think" what is happening is that it's looking for an IDE disk, and seeing two controllers: the one on the motherboard and the PCI one. So they fight. The new one is probably loading a BIOS extension to confuse matters. Setting the boot option to "SCSI" might help, but the BIOS might not be that modern. ;-) It used to be that if you had SCSI, you just said you had no hard disk, and the system would then boot from the SCSI boot extension.

Did the new controller come with a CD? If so. have a good look at it for any documentation.

harlequin_orion
19-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Yes, I have set the fields on Primary master and slave to "NONE" but it still doesn't work

Any more suggestions?

I have looked at its manual, but its very complex and it talks about multiple hard disks (which is what RAID is designed for I guess) but none seem to solve the problem.

Terry Porritt
19-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Interesting.

I also have problems with 2 Western Digital drives, one 20GB, and an 80GB, same model as yours. They will only boot when connected to the Primary Slave connection on the IDE cable with the drive jumpers set to Cable Select. I use them for back-up, so it doesnt matter too much, just very odd.

So perhaps try setting the drive jumper to Cable Select and try alternative IDE connections on the controller card.

Terry Porritt
19-11-2004, 03:43 PM
oops, also try connecting to the slave connector, the one inboard from the end connector on the iDE cable. (Against all rules to leave the cable unterminated, but it worked for me :)

Graham L
19-11-2004, 03:58 PM
If the drive requires CS, it also needs a CS cable. There is one wire cut so the drives can know who's boss.