PDA

View Full Version : popup advertisment

jimmy1
18-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi, a pop up advertisment has placed its self on my desk top and covers all of my background picture, (i can still see my icons and tool bar) when i click on the pop up it opens up internet explorer and opens a suspicious site wanting me to download an adware spy program. i've tried to delete it using lavasoft/norton virus but to no avail. It's there every time i turn the pc on otherwise everything else works fine. I'm using windows xphome edition (new)
One other question is i have this program called 180solutions loaded do i need this cause lavasoft adaware always finds files that need to be deleted from this.
You help will be much appreciated,
cheers

mark c
18-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Get Spybot Search & Destroy and read the FAQ about spyware. Sounds like you've been infested.

And welcome to Pressf1.

:D

jimmy1
18-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks i'll try that now.

viper
18-11-2004, 12:18 PM
> One other question is i have this program called
> 180solutions loaded do i need this cause lavasoft
> adaware always finds files that need to be deleted
> from this.

that's bad news and probably related to your popup problem. follow the instructions at symantec to remove it:
http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.ncase.html

jimmy1
18-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks viper i've printed the intructions from the web site and followed the instructions but it appears the registry keys i need to delete are not there ? so i could go to add and remove and uninstal the program (180solutions) from there and if i need it to run a program then i'll re install it, any suggestions?

Murray P
18-11-2004, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't bother with any programme that installed adware/spyware. There are plenty of alternatives out there. Kill the critter good and proper ;)

Make sure you run both Spybot and Adaware with the latest updates loaded. Use the Advanced Mode view and Immunise feature in Spybot.

By the way, just about every, rogue, anti-adware/spyware programme advertised in this way, installs more adware/spyware on your computer to not only serve you more rubbish but to be able to tell you what a great job it's doing. They also have a propensity of throwing up false positives, it makes you feel good about worth of the programme and encourages it's spread.

Murray P

jimmy1
19-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Yes i have uninstalled the "critter" but i still have my original problem trying to delete the popup add on my desk top.

Thanks for your advice,
Cheers

mark c
19-11-2004, 12:44 PM
How did you uninstall it?

Either using it's own uninstaller or using add/remove programs provides no guarantee that it's all gone.

Check through manually using the 'search' or 'find' for any references to the program and have a look in msconfig as well.

Delete any ref to it you can find and the I'd run a reg cleaner as well. I use regcleaner but RegSeeker is also good.

(must be as it was on latest Pc world CD) :D

Murray P
19-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Also look in Downloaded Program Files for any suspicious ActiveX objects. Right click on them and choose Properties, look at all the tabs to determine what it belongs to. You could also disable active scripting in IE's Internet Properties.

Murray P

Greg S
20-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Is it perhaps Windows Messenger? If not it's a good idea to disable this service anyway:

Go Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Find Messenger, and right-click, Properties, stop it, then disable it completely.