PDA

View Full Version : Beware new Jetstream

peejayw
17-11-2004, 08:13 PM
After joining Jetsteam and being generally happy with the product except for the speed, I decided recently to move my account from the Explorer to the Plus account, the major differences being an increase in the monthly download cap from 3 gig to 10 and more importantly, a speed increase from 256k to 2Mb.
I changed my account type online and was informed the following day that I was being charged the new monthly fee but when I checked my download speed it was reported as being in the 200k range.
I spent 2 days trying to contact Xtra but the phones were always busy but tonight I waited for around 30 minutes to finally speak to a very obnoxious person who curtly told me to go to the Xtra games site and try the test there. It came up at something less than 1 Mb. She then told me I must be too far from the excahnge to be able to receive the full speed even though I pointed out that having already tested to see that I could get Jetstream, there were no further requirements brought to my attention in order to get the increased speed.
I indicated that I did not want to pay for the service until I kenw I would be able to get it but was basically told, "tough, you will be charged as you are receiving data."
Some questions....
Can anyone on the Plus account confirm the get better than 200 kb when tested from http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/ or any other site and also what they get from the Xtra games site?
Many thanks

Wood-Chuck
17-11-2004, 08:32 PM
> 256k range
This is the 256kbps range, right?

Xtra don't control the speeds as such - Telecom do. So whenever you upgrade your plans, Telecom have the job of sending a poor guy out to the local exchange and increasing your downstream speeds so you can get the speeds you require (this is to save giving everyone an 8mbps connection to the exchange - which was how JSG used to work).

In a nutshell you used to get fullrate to the exchange and were limited by your login - so if you logged into Xtra, then you were given the speeds appropriate to your Xtra plan, but if you flicked over to JSG then you were given the appropriate speeds. This has changed so your speed is also limited at the exchange - which defeats part of the whole JSG gaming realm concept.

Check what your router says its downstream speed is - if it's around 1000Kbps (kilobits per second), then most likely your exchange has not been changed over to the 2mbps speeds (which is roughly 2048kilobits per second) also remember some routers require a hard restart (eg: to be turned off then back on) before new settings such as line speeds, etc take place.

Remember there is a difference between bits and bytes:
2048 Kb (Kilobits) = 2Mb (MegaBits) = 0.25MB (MegaBytes)

On a sidenote: be nice to the poor guys at the Xtra Helldesk - it's not nice being abused all day and these guys are doing the best given that the helldesk is always the last department to know of network outages/maintenance/etc.

Desperado
17-11-2004, 08:44 PM
hmmm..... Your line speed:274.9 Kbps

woohoo.

peejayw
17-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Hi,
My router reports 7616 Kbps, please excuse my show of ignorance here, just basically want to get afaster internet connection so not too sure of the terminology but my main point is I dont seem to be getting what Telecom/Xtra are offering which is a 2 mbs speed. I have reset the modem, no difference.
Tried to be nice to the help person, pretty hard when they come online with such an arrogant tone though.

peejayw
17-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Your point being....?

Desperado
17-11-2004, 09:03 PM
My point?

Done the line speed test and it reported a marginal speed difference above my rated plan,so.....i went woohooo.

:D

Exwesty
17-11-2004, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't be at all worried about that speed.
I live 2km at most from the exchange and these are my stats -(upstream 736, downstream 6592 kbit/s)

As mentioned above restart your router and check your stats again, however you will ge governed by your isp or plan type sometimes also by the card settings in the exchange.

Also the stream coming into the exchange is also shared by those on that exchange so if a few people are moving large amounts of data then that will have a negative effect on others on that same exchange ie ping time will increase.

Something to also consider is where are you getting your data from? if the server is slow then it won't matter what speed your on eg dribbling water from a garden hose into firehose is never going to fill it or run it at capacity.

Wood-Chuck
17-11-2004, 09:12 PM
> My router reports 7616 Kbps, please excuse my show of ignorance here, just basically
> want to get afaster internet connection so not too sure of the terminology but my main point
> is I dont seem to be getting what Telecom/Xtra are offering which is a 2 mbs speed. I have
> reset the modem, no difference.

Well you should definately be getting 2Mbps then - your line speed would let you get anywhere up to 7Mbps...
What does Xtra say your plan is here (http://xtra.co.nz/usagemeter)?? Be aware if you changed it during the middle of your billing cycle (or anywhere through your billing cycle period), then you will keep the old speeds you used to have until your next billing cycle takes effect.

Baldy
17-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Congrats guys, this would have to be one of the best "advice/help given" threads I have seen in ages.
Seems like we are getting back to the PressF1 of old.
Good work.

peejayw
18-11-2004, 05:41 AM
Sorry, I mis-read you there. What plan are you on?

peejayw
18-11-2004, 05:47 AM
My account shows as being the Plus account type. When we tested the d/l speed at Jetstream Games, we got aroung 890 kbps and I was told that it was better than what I used to have ie 256 so I should be happy with that!. Anyone else getting this sort of speed from JSG?

B.P.J
18-11-2004, 07:31 AM
Try a line test here

http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/speedtest/

I get 230/240 on the test , also try the tweaks they may help, I am about 2 kms from the exchange, as others have said it also depends on from what site you are downloading, the variations in line/server speed are more noticable when you are on the 2Mb plan.

david.castle
18-11-2004, 08:14 AM
I have a 2Mb cable connection through Paradise. I have noted that if I contact a NZ or Oz site, download speed is about 1.8Mb. US sites normally run at 600k. UK sites (which I see you are trying to contact) are soooo slooooow, I virtually never access.

Hope this helps,
David

peejayw
18-11-2004, 05:52 PM
I tried that site, thanks. My result was 115kB so it seems about only half-speed?

peejayw
18-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Hi David,
I tried Xtra's game site, jetstreamgamers.co.nz/speed, as instructed by the friendly help-person and got around 110kB when I was expecting close to twice this.

cranneyt
18-11-2004, 09:57 PM
551 kbps