PDA

View Full Version : Graphics cards....agp =4x or 8x..how to tell?

Mcpisik
17-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Hi there,
I'd like to upgrade the graphics card, but don't know if i have 4x or 8x agp. How can I tell.
And if it is only 4x, what would be the best card from nvidia to upgrade my system(price not so important as I guess I can't use the latest anyway)
My system:
2.4ghz P4
512 mb ddr ram
xp home
Current graphics...nvidia geforce 4 mx440
(games played....doom 3, bf1942...)
I would love to have dv in/out (if that's what it's called), so I can watch tv on my lcd screen and record tv to my dvd writer. Is that an option?

Thanks in advance! :D

Spacemannz
17-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Hmm whats the motherboard?? That'll tell you if the APG slot (if its on the Mobo), whether it supports either 4 or 8x AGP. (or its manual).

It'll be easier to buy a TV tuner, (like Leadtek), and use the program that comes with that (or download the latest version off the maker's site).

That way, you can run the program it'll let u tune the channels, then you can either record straight from TV to the hdd, or from TV direct to DVD ( if the program has this option). A TV tuner would be WAY cheaper than buying a videocard with DVI on it.

Jen C
17-11-2004, 07:18 PM
> Hi there,
> I'd like to upgrade the graphics card, but don't know
> if i have 4x or 8x agp. How can I tell.

If you know your motherboard brand/model number, you can look up the specification of that board and see whether it is capable of 8x AGP. You may or may not of received a motherboard manual with your machine as well? There are also programs that can extract the information about your motherboard such as Everest - Home Edition (http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1%E2%8C%A9=en).

Once you know the capabilities of your motherboard, you can see about what graphic card will suit you best.

Pete O\'Neil
17-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Do as Jen has said and download Everest, it'll easily tell you whether your motherboard support AGP8X. I would expect a system of your specs to have AGP8X, if it doesnt i will be very surprised.

If your upgrading the video card so you can watch tv on your PC then you would better off investing in a TV capture card. But if you upgrading because you want better graphics then continue as you were.

The ResinMaster
18-11-2004, 02:23 AM
Hi there, the difference in speed of 4x verse's 8x is not a bid deal, I am running a 9800 Pro (8x agp) in a 4x agp board and it runs very well. 3d marks are very close to systems running 8x agp for same specs. Yes a 8x agp is better but you have to way up the price of a board just to do this.

Hope this helps Marty

Mcpisik
18-11-2004, 06:33 AM
Many thanks to all of you above! Great help.
Have downloaded Everest and found...
4x agp
Motherboard: Microstar International, ms6577

So, if you guys had this setup, and wanted the best card without changing the mobo...what would you grab? Should I fork out the bigger money for an 8x capable card anyway?
I'll get an extra 512 ram me thinks...
Re the Tv tuner, what does that slot into, and should I shop for that completely seperate from the g. card, or can it be one item? :-)
Thanks again

Spacemannz
18-11-2004, 07:23 AM
A Tv tuner usually slots into a PCI slot (white slot on the mobo). You could try USB (If you can get USB TV tuners, I think u can) .

Dont know how good they are tho.

If the mobo can only do 4x no point in getting an 8x. It'll make no difference.

It mightn't even wok, if u put an 8x AGP card in the system.

Extra ram wld help I would say.